Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any tips for getting very tight tyres on a rim?
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Just spent a frustrating hour or so trying to get some mountain kings on my new wheels with Stans 355 rims. Snapped all of my plastic tyre levers, started to use some metal ones but they are marking the rims.

I’m sure i’ve seen some tyre levers which have a metal core and a plastic coating, any one know who makes them / where you can get them?

Any other tips?

Cheers

Dave

ajf
    Free Member

washing up liquid? Also make sure your already mounted tyre is nearest the rim you are trying to squeeze the other tyre on to as it gives it a slight bit more slack.

Then it is strong fingers, swearing and beer that does it.

markd
    Free Member

work the slack round to an end point not near the valve then just pop it over.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Have you tried swearing a lot and blaming the wife or the dog? 😀

scaredypants

before you go any further, stick some safety specs on – properly whacked myself on the forehead with a flying lever once

next, ask yourself how much fun it’s going to be getting this tyre OFF on a wet nightride & do you really want it on there?

then, as the mighty markd says 😉 , just pop it on with your fingers alone

or – work bead right into the well of the rim all the way round, work the slack to a point & get back at it with the levers plus some talc or fairy liquid (bit of old inner tube might protect the rim?)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Make sure the bead is in the centre of the rim, the groove in the middle gives you a bit of extra slack. Also use markd’s tip.

If that fails, use your steel levers. The rims are going to get marked by riding anyway. Try not to pinch the tube with the levers.

markd
    Free Member

i have yet to find a tyre and rim combo that cannot be done with fingers alone.

and i sell all of them.

MrNutt
    Free Member

colourful language and thumbs of iron?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Gave up last night as I thought the language might be keeping the neighbours up. Down to EBC this morning and got some more sets of tyre levers. Large quantities of fairy liquid and some strange positions where i was holding a lever with each foot and another one in each hand and the front was done. Quick rest and a mug of tea and i set to on the rear, 2 minutes later it had just popped itself on the rim with only minor amounts of swearing required – strange. Now i can get out in the sun and ride the things.

RealMan
    Free Member

1. Park tools tyre levers. Made of plastic, but I’ve never yet managed to break one.

2. If you get in a lot of trouble, take it inside, put it by a heater, or set a hair dryer on it, which can cause the rubber to expand temporarily so its easier to get on.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

i have yet to find a tyre and rim combo that cannot be done with fingers alone.

and i sell all of them.

Yeah? I’ve got a couple you can try!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mark – I have some tyre and rim combos that cannot be done with fingers – no way jose. DT5.1s and conti travel contacts and some other tyres as well. and yes – I do no how to fit tyres properly and laughed at folk who couldn’t before I got theses rims.
    You are welcome to have a go if you want. I find the DT5.1s far worse than any other rim I have tried

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’ve snapped 6 park plastic levers, usually in sub zero temperatures.

Russell96

Easy raid the kitchen drawer for a spoon, look for one that has rounded edges on the handle, they make ace tyre levers.

myheadsashed

Grow some guns and MTFU.
    A bit of manual work should strengthen the hands.

stevomcd
    Free Member

TJ: I have 5.1s and have, at times, used Conti Tyres. I’ve found that, as you say, it can be a complete bitch to get the tyre on. I’ve also found that the same tyre will go on/off without any difficulty at all 5 minutes later! I think spending a bit of time getting the most slack possible makes a massive difference.

myheadsashed

Warm the tyres near a radiator to make them more malleable (is my sensible answer for the day)

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Mavic 819’s with Conti Speedkings 2.2, needed the biggest scroggy you’ve ever seen.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stevomsd – not with these – I assure you I have worked all the slack around and there is no way on earth they will go on by hand.

sq225917
    Free Member

never met any that won’t fit, but i do have climbers thumbs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any tips for getting very tight tyres on a rim?’ is closed to new replies.