Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any tips for a Brighton Big Dog first timer?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

I’ve been roped into a team of 3 for this years Big Dog on the 20th August. Any one done it before and have any useful pointers?

john_l
    Free Member

Get your Star Wars speeder head on.

njee20
    Free Member

Hope it’s drier than last year, what should’ve been a great course turned into a slippery claggy shit fest! It’s only 6 hours long, in a team of 3 that’s 2 hours riding. Not really worth worrying about!

Matt24k
    Free Member

2 hours of riding is not what bothers me. I am more concerned about being used as a berm by some Lycra clad whippet!

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, exercise some common sense, other riders should be courteous and let you know if they’re coming past, do the same to others you catch, a simple “on your left/right” (choosing one works better IME) is fine.

rossrobot
    Free Member

I did it in a team of three last year. It was my first bike race. Like it’s been said above the weather made it an impossible course. Hoping the weather holds out as stanmer is wicked when dry.
    Don’t worry about people whizzing over you as the event has a nice all inclusive atmosphere. If you’re starting first in your team just make sure you’re not at the very front. After the first lap everyone is pretty spaced out.

Paceman
    Free Member

You should be looking at 8-9 laps between you, so as said above, not too much to worry about.

Bring a second set of mud tyres in case of impromptu heavy showers, the beautiful Ewok Village singetrack can quickly turn to mud-slick speedway. It’s a great course, technical in places, fast and sweeping in others, with relatively little fireroad. Most of the singletrack sections have plenty of overtaking opportunities / multiple lines and competitors are friendly anyway due to the nature of the day.

I’m in a Team Pair, looking forward to it.

faaz
    Free Member

I ride around the routes and trails that comprise the route there every week, all weather, in the dark. They are fun. So, enjoy it! It’s some great riding and it’s a great event so just have fun really.

I wish I could ride but all the tickets were sold out.

Paceman
    Free Member

Faaz, do a search on here, I’m sure I saw a post about a couple of entry places going spare.

bigsi
    Free Member

Always a good event with a great atmosphere.

Enjoy 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

The Stanmer singletrack trails were running great this morning despite heavy showers overnight. Some slippery sections to keep you focussed but that just adds to the excitement IMO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any tips for a Brighton Big Dog first timer?’ is closed to new replies.