Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any tips / advice on how to hang pictures over power cable in solid wall?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I have 8 Ikea Ribba frames (A4 & A3 size) to hang on an external wall, which I seem to have overlooked the obvious fact of it hving a light switch and double plug socket below where I want to hang the pictures. DOH! Any mega glue / clip combos out there that will actually work on a painted plaster skim?

matt_outandabout

Stoner
    Free Member

all power lines should run vertically or horizontally in defined zones:

Use a live wire finder to double check the route of your cables.

There’s should then be no problem making wall penetrations outside of those zones.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90169278/
    I think the ones in the back of this kit have 3 tiny pins which will just go through the plaster (probably)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Use a live wire finder to double check the route of your cables.

This as

There’s should then be no problem making wall penetrations outside of those zones.

This can go wrong, my Dad did have a cable on a bit of a dog leg after moving a socket…..

wwaswas

picture rail.

any of the grab adhesives are good and you can screw it to the wall at the points you *know* the cables aren’t, however irregularly that is.

I’d take that diagram with a pinch of salt for anything that had wiring done more than 15 or 20 years ago…

Cougar

all power lines should run vertically or horizontally in defined zones:

“Should” being the operative word, there.

qwerty
    Free Member

Shirley the pins on these http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/home-accessories/hanging-accessories/picture_hooks/B-and-Q-Hardwall-Picture-Hook-Large-9372550 shouldn’t penetrate deep enough to hit a cable, no? Five of the eight pictures are in the zone.

Or it may have to be http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/command-picture-mirror-hanging-strips-large-18kg-for-hanging-pictures.html and risk a crash in the night.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“This can go wrong, my Dad did have a cable on a bit of a dog leg after moving a socket”

Tems the The joys of people of buying houses from people that dont know what they are doing.

I ended up having a heap of these dog legs due to an older gent moving sockets about – one of them at 90 degrees rubbing on the sharp end of a cast conduit. – not much insulation left on that.

Personally id see if anyone i knew had a cable /stud detector – or buy one and find the cable and adjust the pictures to suit.

These days thanks to doing the chasing and roughing work for my rewire i know where all my cables go 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Take off a light switch and socket …. Look to the top of the socket.

If your house is older the cablings probably in cast conduit ( its black round and looks horrible) if so its unlikely youll have an issue with a picture pin , you just wont get it in.

BigJohn

You can put 2 picture pins in the wall a few cm apart horizontally, spanning the cable and then use picture wire mounted on the frame and going across both pins.

maxtorque

Use wooden screws??

Stoner
    Free Member

I would recommend rubber nails actually.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tems the The joys of people of buying houses from people that dont know what they are doing.

He knew exactly what he was doing, re routing the cable would require a hell of a lot of work in a 100 year old stone/mortar wall so he did the sensible thing, just forgot he had….

Just remember assumptions make an ass out of u…

qwerty
    Free Member

Fek it. Playing safe. Brought some Serious Stuff ULTRA grip adhesive & some stick on hooks (i’ll remove their sticky) and gonna hang them with that. Bodgetastic.

crankboy
    Free Member

Turn power off at mains .
    bang in nail .
    hang picture .
    turn power on at mains.
    never touch picture.

wwaswas

gonna hang them with that.

I hope that skim of plaster is well stuck to the plasterboard…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know about raggling old walls- yes its hard work but if a jobs worth doing….. Its horrible work though im with you on that and fully understand why your dad and my houses previous owner did what he did – but it doesnt make it right – chances are both did it before there were rules though. Just caused me no end of grief trying to trace wires and then making good the damage from pulling the wires out the plaster in the wall instead of the conduit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any tips / advice on how to hang pictures over power cable in solid wall?’ is closed to new replies.