• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any time triallers frequent this place?
  • smogmonster

Just wondering really, im thinking of getting a TT bike..i do a lot of work on the rig WattBike, i quite enjoy the suffering, and can hold about 320-330 Watts for 20 minutes on there, which seems to be about the time our local TT scene events run for…10 miles. I know its all relative, but how does this stack up compared to the STW TT-Massive?

simondbarnes
    chilled76
    Free Member

What do you weigh out of interest?

From negative read you need more like 400watts for 20-25 mins to get competitive on a flat course.

But no experience personally. The reason I ask what you weigh is my 20 min power is very similar.

Garry_Lager

Definitely recommend it – very easy to just turn up to a club ten and give it a whirl. The club season is drawing to a close now, though, so you’d prob only squeeze a couple in this year [it gets too dark to run evening TTs safely even by September].
    It’s also easy to buy a secondhand TT bike and shift it on easily if you found it wasn’t for you. Most don’t get ridden that much so are in good condition.

Your power sounds like a great starting point but you just have to pin the number on and see what happens, there are a lot of variables [with the course being a massive one]. I have quite a bit of power to hand [also quite a bit of weight], but am only average on the tests – went under 24mins for the first time this year. There’s a lot of craft to it – our local courses in Cheshire are undulating and maintaining speed and momentum takes skill. This is the essence of it – the raw effort of pedalling your gonads off, juxtaposed with the cerebral approach to measuring out this effort on the course.

scaredypants

Give it a go – actually quite fun IME (2x10milers)

I think 20 min is optimistic unless the course is a very quick one. My indoor power’s a smidge less than yours but I’ve not replicated that on a TT bike as the position’s so unnatural to me. Regardless I did OK; was worried about not breaking 30 minutes but did a 25-odd then a 24-odd (nobody broke under 21 min on either occasion).

kcr
    Free Member

Don’t worry about your power, etc to start with. Get yourself along to a local club event (as mentioned above, the club season will be ending soon) chat to a few people and have a go. You’ll find people will be friendly and ready to give you lots of advice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any time triallers frequent this place?’ is closed to new replies.