Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Any tilers in the room ? £300plus vat for 3sqm sound like a lot ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

and that’s not including the tiles or grout ! (want grey grout ) does this sound like an excessive amount?

area is in the kitchen

greeble
    Free Member

very much on the steep side!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

bearing in mind the I’m spending £6000 plus vat with the builder for fitting an rsj knocking wall down etc fitting kitchen etc !

What should it be ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

If my maths ability serves me well I make that 100/sqm? Tell him to **** off!

wrightyson
    Free Member

150 tops as its not even a days work. Hell get the grouting done the same day!! Are they some special tiles? As in 1cm2 each and not on a mat?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

normal metro style tile

onehundredthidiot

I got a bathroom installed and shower fitted including shifting water and electrics and 13m2 tiled for £500. Suddenly feel like i got a bargain.

greeble
    Free Member

6k for an rsj, wall removal and fitting the kitchen?
    the guy saw you comming!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

all elecrtics gas work included new window door blocked up plastering.

quote came in much the same as others…London prices !

Sodajim

I would say so fella. I’d go out and get a few more quotes if I were you.

We had quite a lot of tilling down in our house last year when we refurbed it. The guy who did it was very professional, helpful, did a fantastic job and had a 50 mile trip each way to get to us.

Just did a quick calculation and he worked out at £35 per meter. He supplied all the grout adhesives trims etc and there were several colours of each involved.

When there was a problem with the tiles we supplied he sorted out the problem with where we bought them at no extra cost to his quote. He had to come back extra days because of the fault all with no extra charge.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m not sure what a metro tile is but I’m sure it’s nothing like my sarcastic 1cm2 tiles that I asked about!

totalshell

up here in rochdale land its 35 quid a metre labour. 300 quid is major piss take, the guy doesnt want the work and has priced accordingly..

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Size
    200x100x7mm

greeble
    Free Member

shouldn’t make a difference on tile size.

saladdodger
    Free Member

ever thought of doing it yourself if you do not like the cost??? I have just done 36m and it cost me my time and materials

If you cannot be bothered to do it cough up and let someone make a living

Simples

greeble
    Free Member

ever thought of doing it yourself if you do not like the cost??? I have just done 36m and it cost me my time and materials

Simples

thats exactly what I did

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yes it should, some tiles are much more time consuming to lay than others, these however are not really that bad tbh….

I charge £30pm2 usually but with a loading for small floors so assuming no hidden problems etc and sound subfloor I’d price yours at £150 inc adhesive and grout.

coffeeking
    Free Member

shouldn’t make a difference on tile size.

I’m no tiler, but if I were and you expected a fixed price for 500mmx500mm tiles and the same for 20mmx20mm I’d probably slap you.

nealglover
    Free Member

That would be a fair enough comment, if the tiler wasn’t trying to charge Three Times the going rate 🙄

Someone “making a living” is fine. But making Three livings off each job is taking the piss.

£30-£35 per metre including Grout and Trims would be a fair price. (if he is good?)

saladdodger
    Free Member

Three livings off each job is taking the piss

Bit like getting your car serviced or dealing with a solicitor I guess 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Is it 3 square metres or is it a 3 metre square (i.e. 9 sq m)?

chojin
    Free Member

If you’re local to Southampton, I know a great tiler who done our work for £25 per square metre.

leffeboy

I’m thinking along the same lines as Druid – maybe one of you has misunderstood the 3m bit. Alternatively it may just be a call out and setup cost as 3m2 isn’t much

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

3 metres squared no call out charge they are already doing the rest of the work(at good rates)

joeegg
    Free Member

Had a kitchen tiled and the charge was £20 a square metre.

I provided grout and adhesive,and it is in the impoverished North East.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m having an extension done at the moment & I must say that despite my fears the builder has been exceptional, not quite finished yet but all is great so far & I would recommend him to anyone, he quoted me £30Pm to fit tiles, & I think that included the adhesive & grout.
    Anyway he works in Londen (at least north) so if you want his number then email me, but as I have no affiliation then make your own mind up & don’t blame me for anything if it goes wrong 😉

Cheers.

geoffj

3 metres squared

So 9 square metres then? 300 sounds in the right ball park then.

druidh
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    3 metres squared

🙄

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

So 3x 3, or 3×1, which is it? 😐

PS, I know what 3m squared is 😉

sl2000

While you’re all here – does anyone know a good tiler who’ll work in Clapham (London)?

garage-dweller

Way too pricey as above!

My brother in law’s a tiler by trade working in the pricey south central and London and that would be way off his costs!

garage-dweller

Sl2000 if its a 2 day job or you are flexible on timing my b-i-l might be able to quote.

Lives in Hampshire but works up in London if he can do more than a single day at once.

sl2000

@garage-dweller – it’s 36m2 of 600×600 porcelain flooring on screed – and I’ll need it done in about 2 weeks time. My email’s in my profile if your b-i-l would like to quote.

jkomo

As a basic DIYer, tiling is the easiest job there is.
    Have a go at it yourself.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>As a basic DIYer, tiling is the easiest job there is.<

Sure – as long as the walls are flat and the angles aren’t on the p1ss.

And I’m sure you’re very good but ime most basic DIYers have a grossly over inflated opinion of the quality of their work 😉

Sounds expensive but nobody here has seen your job – get another quote.

druidh
    Free Member

So – did we ever find out what areas of tiling it actually was?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Any tilers in the room ? £300plus vat for 3sqm sound like a lot ?’ is closed to new replies.