Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • any telecom / broadband experts on here
  • charliemort

swapped (or tried to swap) isp for Utility Warehouse to Talk Talk (I can hear the titters already………)

got the MAC code, not sure what happened but swap-over didn’t happen and broadband switched off by Utility Whorehouse on 23rd March

since then no service. From what I can gather, Talk Talk have tried numerous times to put a new order through (which won’t need the mac code) but it keeps failing.

Latest is that they want to change the whole phone line which **hopefully** will resolve the issue, then put broadband on that, so another 4 – 6 weeks on a dongle. To their credit, they have offered me free broadband for length of 1 year contract for the hassle, but service has been pretty appalling

Can’t get fast broadband as too far from exchange / exchange not upgraded, so just standard stuff

So my questions are:

1. are they talking bollox? will the new line make any difference?
    2. what are the chances of getting a new line and it still not working?
    3. if I went to say BT, will I have the same problems? (ie is it a Talk Talk issue or a problem on the line issue?). Happy to move supplier but don’t want the same problems

ta muchly

uplink
    Free Member

1. are they talking bollox? will the new line make any difference?

You’ll never find out

2. what are the chances of getting a new line and it still not working?

They’re still guessing so 50/50

3. if I went to say BT, will I have the same problems? (ie is it a Talk Talk issue or a problem on the line issue?). Happy to move supplier but don’t want the same problems

It took BT 103 days to install broadband for one of our customers, the whole episode is now in the hands of a professional script writer, who’s going to turn it into a 1 hr Christmas special sit-com/farce[/i]

Cougar

Frying pan, fire.

Cutting to the chase; there are two methods of supplying ADSL in the UK. LLU providers will use their own equipment installed in BT exchanges to provide your service. You can usually spot these as they’re generally cheaper than conventional ADSL. You can check what’s available to you at http://www.samknows.com .

Outside of LLU, whoever you choose as an ISP, you’re buying BT Wholesale ADSL resold by your ISP. They might have different usage policies and suchlike but basically, all you’re changing if you move ISPs is who you pay each month and who you complain to when it doesn’t work.

Ergo, if you’ve moved from UW to TT and both products are ‘regular’ ADSL, then there’s no physical change. If it worked on one, it should work on the other. If you’re moving from / to LLU then this might account for outages but I’d guess that you’re being spun a large set of billy bollocks. If it was a faulty line, why did it work previously?

From what I can gather, Talk Talk have tried numerous times to put a new order through (which won’t need the mac code) but it keeps failing.

This sounds like they’re dealing with BT; they’ll ask BT to provision the line, BT will test the line and tell them what (if anything) they predict it’ll support (google ‘whoosh test’). I’m guessing that this is what’s failing, BT are telling TT that they can’t put ADSL on your line, which is a bit of a bugger for TT when they’ve already sold it to you.

What doesn’t add up is how UW managed it in the first place, and why TT need to reprovision anything. Either you’re going from LLU back to BT Wholesale (in which case, you want your bumps feeling), or TT are a set of incompetent simians (which is highly likely).

I think, anyway.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like either Utility Warehouse switched you off (which they shouldn’t do, as the service will just leave them on a certain date) OR TT have cocked up somewhere and the service HAS migrated, but due to lack of capacity in their DSLAM in the exchange, they cant actually connect you.
    Also may depend on whether your exchange has TT LLU equipment in the exchange. Go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker and put in your details. It should then list what broadband suppliers there are in your exchange and give you a reasonable forecast of your possible line speed (click on BT ADSL).
    HTH

charliemort

ermm well only BT ADSL is available – we’re about 4km from the exchange, good going as only about 1/2 mile from M25!

don’t see why new line would make any difference myself

ourmaninthenorth

In short, what Cougar is saying is:

TalkTalk owns the physical network that carries your voice and calls right up to its hardware (an MSAN or a DSLAM) in your exchange. Then a wire comes out of the MSAN/DSLAM into the hardware that belongs to Openreach*.

Openreach owns the physical copper wire from that point in the exchange to your house.

Often in rural areas, there is a massive issue with the physical state of the lines – these can be the biggest cause of BB and voice problems (think crackly lines when it rains, etc.).

So:

1. TT will be asking Openreach to provide a physical new line. this takes time to provision – Opnreach are notoriously slow.

2. It could happen. But the issue is not with TalkTalk, it is with Openreach.

3. Quite probably. you will then be dealing with BT Retail. I’d rather not….

*Openreach are those vans with the swirly logo you see about. Yes, technically Openreach is still part of the BT group, but it is obluiged to treat each communications provider equally (i.e. not give preferential treatment to BTR or BT Wholesale). This isn’t always the case….

Email me your details and I’ll ask a favour and have a dig to see what the status of your order is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘any telecom / broadband experts on here’ is closed to new replies.