Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any teachers on here
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

That “teach” cyclo cross extracurricular?

Me and a couple of mates discussed it briefly today – looks like a good idea. What are the general thoughts/opinions, H&S stuff etc

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh…no..sorry… 8)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Practically, could you narrow it down to just cyclo cross, ie, would they have the right bike? H&S not sure, a normal risk assessment should cover it I would have though.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

some other local schools do it so will be in touch with them imminently

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Hi I teach in a behaviour unit. We’re offering different projects next year and have been asked to incorporate things that we have an interest in. I’ve put forward MTB, Cyclocross, road, track and bmx projects.

May be pushing my luck a little.

don’t worry about H&S as long as you’ve got all the relevant risk assessments sorted.

With the extension of the school day schools will be crying out for different groups to come in to school to offer extra curricular activities.

You could also get in touch with British cycling and see what relevant coaching certificates they offer.

Rob

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Had a look at getting MTB group going but the insurance requirements brought it to a halt (local authority supported it right up until we requested funding for training me and one other teacher as instructors…)

We’re trying to club together with some other schools to get a group running.

Ed2001
    Free Member

As already mentioned I would get in touch with BC and in particular your local GoRide club, as they are set up to encourage and coach youngsters in the sport.

Kiril
    Free Member

We have done MTBing as part of an enrichment week. A one -off is easier to manage from a H and S perspective. It’s all about the risk assessment.

Spamf
    Free Member

I beg to differ with the last caller. Its not all about the “risk assessment” (although clearly this must be accurate and comprehensive). Its all about “informed parental consent”. As long as parents know what their child will be doing, and have signed to say they are happy for them to do so, you are in the strongest legal position and are covered as long as you can show you have followed “best practice”.
    Any school can get “Go Ride” status. The requirements are to have a qualified BC coach (I went on a one day “teachers” coaching, cost £95). You then set up a club in school and register the club with BC (cost £30). A handy bag of resources is then yours, together with great links with BC to support you and any rising stars you discover.

Cheers Anton

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheers – will investigate tomorrow

oxym0r0n

Where abouts are you based RR? – I have run Go-Ride in the past – as a teacher all that is required is a days training course (activity coach award for teachers) although I have OTC technical leader’s too. As already mentioned, this is probably your best bet.

Planning on starting one up again when the light gets a bit better…

eldridge
    Free Member

Intrigued by the idea of cyclocross for youths in a “behaviour unit”

Would that be a unit for kids whose “behaviour” is positive, constructive, supportive, consistently legal, non-violent, socially-constructive, respectful, appropriate to their age etc?

Excellent! Just the kind of people we need in the sport.

Keep up the good work,

karnali
    Free Member

I also work in pupil referral unti and run mtb once a month for yr9, i have a smbla moutnain bike leaders award. I encoorporate some basic mechanics into it and along with some digital photograpghy work and then use this eveidence for a wider key skills award (impring own learning) this has GCSE poitns equivalence at level1 and level2, did it last year in a mainstream school all pupils passed. there is some paperwork involved. But mention you can raise a year groups points score and then money for traning may well become available.

martin_varey@yahoo.com if you want more info

Pieface

Wy CX rather than MTB?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

based in chesterfield. CX rather than MTB because local schools already do it and there is a league/race series

oxym0r0n

nowhere near Zomerzet then 🙁

eldridge
    Free Member

pupil referral unti

obviously that line got truncated and should read

pupil referral until they get sent to prison unit

Kiril
    Free Member

Spamf we could argue we are both correct.

Parental consent will not excuse poor risk assesment and it is not a get out clause, however risk assessment is about “following the best practice” which you recommend.

Just because the parents say it’s alright doesn’t make it so

Pieface

Get in touch with the other schools and find out how they do it / what challenges they’ve had and what they’ve done to overcome them?

Prolly more useful than here

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any teachers on here’ is closed to new replies.