Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any Synth heads in the house
  • grantway
    Free Member

had the Korg MS20 in the early Eighties but wasn’t what was needed then for the music we tried to make
    anyway I know its worth a lot of money but flogged it long time ago.

But just for fun i am looking at these Arturia Minilab keyboards
    Does anyone have one or are you still a synth nut 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rheSnRX30-U[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbldOu2DSUE[/video]

All for £ 89 quid

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’d dig an MS20. I started making tunes last year and have owned quite a few synths in that time, currently have a Juno 106 and two of these, if you’re handy with a soldering iron I’d definitely recommend one, fancy putting together an Ambika orr a X0xbox next…

What sort of stuff do you make?

p8ddy
    Free Member

It looks really nice! I have an Arturia Analogue factory. I really like it. Very very well made with steel and wood.

And…A Roland Juno 60 with midi retrofit, Alesis Ion, Korg MS2000r (x2), Korg Triton, Nord Micro Modular, Yamaha CS6r, Synthstation 49 (for the ipad running Moog and Yam softsynths) all running thru a couple of vintage se50’s and an se70…

Yeah…. I’m a saddo.

p8ddy
    Free Member

schrickvr6..

Ooooh! Like! 🙂

p8ddy
    Free Member

I have a wee circuit bent kawaski synth (M-Z3ro circuit bent it) that produces the most demonic sounds in the world too. Almost forgot! 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

I recently bought the Vogel CMI app. Not the full version. I’m not impressed.

budgierider67

Rather than going the VA route, I would look at the new wave of cheap analogue hardware. Check out the Korg Volca series & Waldorf Rocket for some proper knob action.

BigJohn

At a local live music pub near me (ex members of Climax Blues Band and Barclay James Harvest regularly appear at the jam nights) there’s a bloke called Ian who plays a Roland. He put gaffer tape over the Ro and the d. Very good.

rewski
    Free Member

more of a drum machine man, enjoy messing with soft synths on logic, NI and sylenth1

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2013/11/beat-box-a-drum-machine-obsession

Crag
    Free Member

I’m not a synth head but one of my mates builds a few synths from time to time

http://synthengineering.co.uk/shop/4574467433

grum
    Free Member

Got a VA synth I use in my band – an Alesis Ion. I used to have a Korg MS2000r which was nice. Quite fancy something analogue though like the Arturia MiniBrute.

schrickvr6 – what is that?

somafunk

For £89 that mini synth looks a helluva lot of fun for the minimal cost – i feel in need of an early xmas pressie to myself, although after looking through the Arturia site i feel drawn to the Microbrute – wow!…that’s my kinda hardware and it would look so cute sitting on my current desk set-up.

I don’t own any pure hardware driven synths as such but i do have a NI Kore player and NI Maschine (1st generation) running the NI Komplete package with various plug ins and Ableton/Traktor/NI S2 decks, the Kore hardware player is great fun when it works but i’m not impressed with NI customer service despite spending a small fortune over the years, the Kore hardware unit often takes the huff and NI don’t want to know as it’s a good few years old now but Maschine is an absolute hoot to play around with, a 5 min session often leads to losing 3 or 4 hours of an evening messing about with bleeps/blips and sequencing – i quite fancy a Maschine Mikro for portable use and for taking round to various mates houses but after looking through that Arturia site i think i need to drop my fascination/loyalty wi NI stuff and explore other possibilities.

A mate has a studio of drool-worthy synths all racked up and patched into his equipment but it’s his income/job so i guess he can justify it whereas i just bugger about and try and create pleasing sounds every now and again, i could lose days playing about wi his patchbay stuff as whilst i have a vague idea what i’m doing and what outcome to expect i often end up with something that either has me cowering in the corner or jumping around wi excitement – he’s just bought a custom Dave Smith Prophet 12 as he had spare rack space after selling an old Juno and a Teenage Engineering OP-1 for a travelling companion to use on flights/hotels/gigs etc, i’ve wanted one of these since Future Music showed the initial mock-ups 4/5 years ago – needless to say i am wracked with jealousy 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

Fond memories of dismantling and repairing a Waldorf Wave amongst other things in a previous job. Not so fond memories of discovering it had a second fault 🙂
    Fixing the JD990 that made Faithless millions was a high point. Having to tell one of the Rephlex artists that his second album was lost inside an irreparably damaged Jazz disc was probably the low point 🙁

Never built a synth personally, though I did build a few effects units.

derek_starship
    Free Member

What is brilliant is an iPad, GarageBand and iRigs Keys. Back in the day this amount of toys would have cost £3k.

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsflF5Fyho[/video]

bokonon
    Free Member

Where I work has a fairly substantial collection of vintage, older and analogue synths Juno 106, DX7, Microwave, decent sized Doepfer modular and a few novations.

I used to have a Nord micro modular, excellent little synth, sold it last year, did me proud for more than 10 years and I sold it for about 2/3rds of what I paid for it…which is pretty good.

I tend not to use physical synths that much nowadays – decent soft synths, Max/MSP and a penchant for field recordings has put a stop to it. I have made a whole bunch of lo-fi digital synths and effects – botching schmitt triggers to make an audible noise and mucking about with that, cassette based tape delays and the like – did a whole performance with just home made electronic hardware a while back, lots of fun.

p8ddy
    Free Member

grum..

Got a VA synth I use in my band – an Alesis Ion. I used to have a Korg MS2000r which was nice. Quite fancy something analogue though like the Arturia MiniBrute.

The problem with a lot of the analogue synths for live is lack of patch memory, so unless you use one sound in the band you’d need to be editing patches on the hoof…. which would be a pain/near impossible IMO…

That and the ION is fab synth. Behaves as close to an analogue as possible, it’s a bit like a monster version of my Juno 60. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any Synth heads in the house’ is closed to new replies.