Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any Swimmers? Need advice on ear infection…
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just got back from my doctor, who’s diagnosed an ear infection. Apparently, it’s quite common in swimmers. Anyone got any experience of this? Never had owt like it before. Any tips on avoiding a re-occurence? What medication/treatment worked for you?

Any advice/info greatly appreciated. I thought I was going deaf! A little bit worrying.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…it’s quite common in swimmers…………Any tips on avoiding a re-occurence?

Don’t go swimming ?

crispybacon
    Free Member

A pink swim cap should sort it out for you :o)

bruneep
    RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve been advised that it’s ok to go swimming, but I may need to put some cotton wool soaked in Vaseline, in my ears, whilst i am using the medication.

Just got a bit frightened, as I noticed my hearing noticeably diminishing, in the last week or so.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bruneep- thanks mate. I’ll look to get some of those.

bruneep
    mudsux
    Free Member

my ear blocked due to infection. my hearing diminished significantly in that ear. it took about 2 weeks to clear up. no medication was given and it cleared up on its own. i wouldn’t know if its advisable to continue swimming with it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TopTip :

Why spend your hard earned cash on expensive ‘Aqua Earplugs’ during these difficult times?

Shove one of these in each lughole for a handy recession busting alternative :

You’ll find that you’ll get excellent results, and only occasionally called cnutface.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

and only occasionally called cnutface

Ah, well that’ll make a difference from being regularly called that…

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve been advised that it’s ok to go swimming

Is that just from your POV, or considering the possibility of passing on the infection (genuinely don’t know whether you can pass on such an infection, so inquiring rather than having a go)?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Doctor says swimming will be ok, if I use ear-plugs until my ears get better. Apparently, it seems to be cause by the chlorine in the water, dissolving the protective waxy stuff in your ear canal. The delicate skin inside then gets dry, and prone to infection. Can’t be transmitted in chlorinated water.

Doc has told me NOT to give up swimming, as it’s very healthy, and keeps me out of her surgery! All doctors seem to think swimming is one of the healthiest forms of exercise going.

It is more likely I caught the infection from touching a surface that someone with the infection has touched previously.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

likely I caught the infection from touching a surface

You do know that you shouldn’t poke anything smaller than your elbow into ears – right ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any Swimmers? Need advice on ear infection…’ is closed to new replies.