Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • any surly karate monkey owners on here?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

i want to pick your brains re rear brake. thanks

ton

soon, hopefully…………. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

good lad 😉 tho yours will make my 16" look like a like-a-bike

singlespeedstu

What you want to know?

firestarter
    Free Member

stu ive put a rear post mount brake on and had a few punctures already. Not sorted it tubeless yet 🙂 and i had to removes rear caliper to get wheel out. Just wondered if there was a trick to avoid this or which is easier to remove for setting back up the is mount or the post caliper

singlespeedstu

Amanda uses a hope bolt in rear hub.

Remove the bolts and the wheel falls out the bottom of the dropouts. 😀

If you've not got a bolt in wheel just slacken the top IS bolt and remove the bottom one.
    You can then swing the caliper up out of the way and the wheel will slide out the back.

I've also seen someone use a wavy rotor and cut the back part of the lower dropout away. They then lined up the "dip" in the rotor with the top of the caliper and were able to get the wheel out.

The bolt in rear wheel is by far the quickest though.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah a bolt rear wheel would be the best 🙂 im running this wheelset i can buy some more in a few months so will have a look at a bolt in one. Will try the is mount bolts next time i couldnt decide which would be more of a pain. Cheers stu

coastkid
    Free Member

im lovin my 18" KM..,i have the monkey nuts fitted and the rear wheel balance point is sweet for manuals..not what i bought it for!,with a 160mm disc rear hope mini mono fitted the rear caliper dosnt need to be unbolted for wheel removal..

firestarter
    Free Member

first one ive seen with gears 😉

plecostomus
    Free Member

what frame bag would that be?

BigDummy
    Free Member

That looks brilliant coastkid! 😀

I'm almost regretting going for black with black bits…

coastkid
    Free Member

singlespeed too slow for me… 😉
    frame bag is by friend eric at epic designs,for a 18" pugsley so its wider at front,had it on just to try it out,
    BD it was supposed to be white graphics hence the white rims..oh well,

singlespeedstu

The frame bag looks like an Epic designs to me. I have one of their bar bags. A great bit of kit.

Edit
    looks like coastkid posted while I was looking for the link. 😳

firestarter
    Free Member

my poo brown one 😉

built to a tight budget mostly with bits i already had but i want to upgrade over time some nice wheels and a crank is first on the list 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Poo brown was a good colour. I think on balance Camp Stove Green was best though. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just searched out that colour and it is indeed very nice 😉 i wish my crosscheck was another colour but black but such is life 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

btw coastkid are you running top tube cable guides ? if so which ones fit properly cheers mick

coastkid
    Free Member

only my disc cable is up top mick,held with m-part brake line holder thingys,heres eric-bag makers camp green KM,note the 50mm wide una rims and spikes..wicked!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘any surly karate monkey owners on here?’ is closed to new replies.