Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any Surfers in the House?
  • scenetoomuch
    Free Member

I have to organise a stag do this year, the groom is an avid surfer and body boarder so we thought let’s let him show us all up by going to Cornwall for a weekend and let him surf and us drown…

I’m not that up on surfing so have no idea where we should go, I know Newquay is probably best to avoid (we like drinking but not fighting). Does anyone have any suggestions for places where we could get accomodation, villa/cottage/shack and board rental/tuition. we’re thinking around June time, Cornwall just seems like the best place but anywhere on the South Coast would be fine(though we’re all from Bournemouth so that wouldn’t be so exciting).
    Cheers Everyone

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why don’t you try somewhere in Pembrokeshire?

(Though it’s not exactly party central).

Or somewhere off the coast of County Clare in Ireland.

fadda

Deadly – move out the way, I feel the spirit of surf-mat peering at this thread over our shoulders!

I’d second South Wales, the surfing is fab down towards the Power and beyond, and agree that it’s maybe a bit quiet for a stag do.

Not sure that Newquay’s quite as bad now, they’ve tamed some of it down, I think…?

trailmonkey

North Coast is the best bet to catch any swell, although dd is right that pembroke will catch the same swells and Ireland should be better still.

Places where you can get suit board hire are Watergate Bay, Polzeath, Sennen, and a host more if you Google it.

As for where to go for a stag weekend ? Your suspicions about Newquay are correct – avoid. You then have a bit of a problem though as you need a bit of life I’m guessing as it’s a stag do. You could always try St Ives which maybe a step away from beer monsteer hell but still have an element of nightlife, should be plenty of suitable beaches with hire etc nearby.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Deadly – move out the way, I feel the spirit of surf-mat peering at this thread over our shoulders

😆

We can but only try to fill his shoes. It’ll take quite a few of us though.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

It depends what you guys what to do?

North Devon (Ilfracombe down to westward Ho and Bude even though its in cornwall)can be good for surfing with lots of places to hire wetsuits and boards for learners,and if hes good and theres some good surf after you have all had a go take him to where the best surf is and watch him for an hour or so ( is new missus will do this a lot :-))

As for drinking it all depends what you are looking for and how many guys are going,if there are loads of you you will to get organised otherwise it could be a PITA if you can only get in scabby places.
    Pembrokeshire is great too I’ve spent many nights out in Haverfordwest and the surfings great too.

iDave
    Free Member

Escape in Newquay, proper instructors as opposed to kids who can surf, great accomodation too.

Pook

It’ll take quite a few of us though

is he a clown?

toys19
    Free Member

To be honest we had my mates stag in Newquay, mix of surfers and non surfers. The night out was actually brilliant fun, and there was no aggro whatsoever.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

There’s 10 invited so the accomodation may be a problem. I think we were hoping for self catering so we could make our own amusements but a decent pub wouldn’t go a miss.
    Thinking of going in June I think so we can avoid school hols and students so maybe Newquay wouldn’t be so bad, though the weekend will prioritise the surf as he lives in London and doesn’t get to go out too much.
    PITA?

BillMC

Polzeath is a nice little break but Sennen is a bit exposed and only has one pub. Sennen does have some very good climbing (or just clambering over the rocks) as an alternative or addition to the surf. I prefer Watergate Bay to Newquay but it’s become very expensive and not a good place for a drinking bash. Croyde offers three breaks, three pubs and a range of accomodation and surf equipment is easily hired.

headfirst
    Free Member

Another vote for Croyde/Putsborough/Saunton Sands. Good surf and not as far away as Cornwall

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

So Croyde or Pembrokshire…
    Any suggestions for accomodation and tution at either of these. I like the sound of Pembrokshire as there’s more of a road trip involved. I think the rest of the gang will be thinking Croyde though.
    Also PITA, what’s PITA (cue pictures of kebabs and other turkish/greek food stuffs)…

donsimon
    Free Member

PITA 😉

Rosss
    Free Member

Croyde is brilliant the surfs great and theres plently of pubs etc. I do go to newquay every year however and the trouble has really been curbed and the clubs are brill too

toys19
    Free Member

Another vote for Croyde/Putsborough/Saunton Sands. Good surf and not as far away as Cornwall

Although from london it takes the same amount of time to get to either..

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Llangennith on the Gower Penninsula is really nice place for ‘beginners’. Not sure how close you could be to the beach if you didn’t camp though.
    Lots of B&B’s though and a really nice pub on Worm’s head

tankslapper
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Why don’t you try somewhere in Pembrokeshire?

(Though it’s not exactly party central).

Or somewhere off the coast of County Clare in Ireland. +1

Outer Reef Pembrokeshire

The above is the guy who works of the NT ground at Broadhaven (sth) – plenty of accommodation in the area and the scenery’s pretty good too. If you’re in the area and use Dean’s school (Outer Reef) I’ll throw a free tour of the NT Estate in as well.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any Surfers in the House?’ is closed to new replies.