Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any supply/temporary teachers out there?
  • BillMC

I’ve been approached to take A level classes for 3 days a week for a maternity leave. I’ve been out of education for 18 months so am a bit out of touch, what sort of package should I expect? Ideally I would like a .6 contract on the top of main scale to reflect my 35 years doing it, 31 years in management positions. My CV is v solid and I do commit to a job (although I doubt if that would make any difference).
    Any thoughts? What’s the state of the market out there? What are establishments paying for long term cover?

tiggs121
    Free Member

In Scotland you would be paid at your pay point – top of the scale after 35 years – in proportion to the time worked ie – 0.6 fte. Simples. Travelling expenses would also be paid.

Roughly 20k before tax for 6 months

brassneck

That sounds about right – Mrs B has done similar (top of scale .6 pay being normal for 3 days), but obviously dropped her additional responsibility points (management, Foundation Stage lead etc.) – if they were asking you to take that sort of thing on I’d be asking to be paid for it. Assuming you’re providing the content also I’d not want much less as I suspect that 3 days will also mean 3 evenings unless you get better PPA in secondary?

EDIT: That’s in S England for clarity, having just read tiggs’ referring to Scotland.

BillMC

Thanks, that’s very useful indeed. Oddly enough a couple of weeks ago I was about to clear 2Gb of teaching resources off my laptop (but didn’t) and I’ve given half of my ‘work clothes’ to Age Concern. I have a meeting coming up soon so it’ll be interesting to see what they say.

Incidentally I was talking to someone yesterday who works for an agency supplying lecturers to FE colleges. She said it’s a bit of a sellers’ market at the moment and rates are creeping up. A lot of people like me who were sick of Gove and academies walked and currently there are PGCE places not being filled. So if anyone else is in a similar-ish position, don’t accept reduced rates.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Been nowt but supply since 2000. Beats working for a living. Who is paying? If direct through a school it will be 0.6 of whatever pay scale you are on. What you do depends on your contract. Eg 0.6 at main scale rates may well be expected to plan, mark etc or you may just turn up and teach what is already planned. Talk to the LA payroll people to check rates. PPA is likely to be pro rata. Staff meetings? Are they on a day you work? Are you expected to turn up if not? I won’t do that. Parents evenings?
    Maternity leave cover is not really supply. It’s a short term contract and you are usually expected to do everything a full time teacher does. It is easy to end up doing more than your agreed time if you don’t stitch things up carefully beforehand. Silly little things like inset days , twilights, bank holidays need agreeing Before you start. Pension contributions? Paying full whack or partime rates? Union the same. Piad for holidays? Supply won’t be but short term contract should but what about before or end of employment?
    Lots of small things but they have all something thatvi have had to consider at some point.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any supply/temporary teachers out there?’ is closed to new replies.