Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any suggestions for commuting rucksacks?
  • Google
    Free Member

I head into a central office once or twice a week. 20 odd miles on the road each way, and because I’m not there all the time I need to carry kit with me.
    Laptop and a change of clothes (I can get away without a suit) primarily, but bike locks etc as well.

Any suggestions as everything I already have is either too small to carry everything I need primarily designed for hiking and rubs badly.

NB – No need for a camelback – I can use a bottle cage.

Thanks

qtip

I’d get some panniers – much more comfortable taking the load on the bike than your back.

neilm
    Free Member

This guy makes custom bag for that very purpose.

The Breakaway

TiRed

Panniers or a rack pack. The need to wear shoes makes transporting a full change of clothes and a laptop challenging. I use a Deuter Race EXP, which is an excellent rucksack. But I leave shoes and a pair of trousers at the site I don’t regularly commute to. At my regular site I have a suit and shoes in a locker, so just bring in underwear and shirts.

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://www.ebuyer.com/192046-wenger-swissgear-cobalt-backpack-ga-7343-06?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CP_A1r3-2L8CFQEXwwodKCkA1A

mine is a good 8 years old and still pretty such servicable

I agree that panniers is a better options

neilwheel
    Free Member

Deuter Cross air EXP is recommended if you want a pack but better with a rack shirley?

Basil

Get that pack off your back!
    Tubus Fly rack
    Ortlieb City Front Panniers

Google
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Panniers would probably be ideal but impractical for my bike I think and as it’s relatively occasional a pack is simpler. No lockers or places to store kit as I’m restricted to a hot desk and have no established place to call my own.
    I’ll have a look at the pack suggestions made already. Cheers

rewski
    Free Member

Osprey Escapist 25, it as an airscape back support that does a great job. I had the swiss gear one above for years which was great but find the osprey distributes the weight much better. I sometimes carry a 17in macbook pro, power cables and change of clothes 15 miles each way.

faustus

I use the Decathlon/B-Twin Tilt 5 waterproof backback on my commute, and although it’s not massive it will fit everything you need in. I’ve used it in all weathers most work days for the past 9 months and it’s been great – especially for £35.

dunmail
    Free Member

Do you have access to a shower at work? I find a rucksack creates a lot more sweat when riding to work than using panniers or a saddlebag.

As others have said, look at some sort of rack pack. This http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=57 should be able to take a laptop (providing it isn’t a huge thing). Yeah it looks naff but it’s for commuting 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d get some panniers – much more comfortable taking the load on the bike than your back.

+1

Otherwise of all the bags I’ve used for commuting or load-carrying, Wingnuts are the favourite for carrying load in a stable fashion, followed by Deuter for just being really good – if regular – bags.

I used to leave my laptop at work though to cut down on weight.

brooess
    Free Member

I didn’t like panniers – made the bike harder to move around – which can be quite important for urban riding. If I have some volume to carry I use a 35l KIMM sack but most days I have a HAWG. Both are a very stable carry and good at absorbing my sweat

TeaBoyPaul

Osprey Momentum 26 works well for me. Lifetime warranty on Osprey packs too.

fionap

I use an Osprey Quasar 30 – it has a padded pocket for laptops. Indestructible too but you’d need a separate raincover as it’s not included.

Google
    Free Member

SHowers at work, yes. Just no storage so I can’t leave anything there easily. Those rackpacks look like they might work. Probably more this one though as it’s got a bit more space.http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=33

brassneck

Just bought a brilliant lightweight Karrimor one from Sports Direct for £14.99 – bought it for long runs really, but it’s turned out to be my perfect commuting bag. 15L called X Lite comes in a good bright yellow.

Just about to stuff it and get out :-d

brassneck

Just bought a brilliant lightweight Karrimor one from Sports Direct for £14.99 – bought it for long runs really, but it’s turned out to be my perfect commuting bag. 15L called X Lite comes in a good bright yellow.

Just about to stuff it and get out :-d

dragon
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned it already but an Alpkit Gourdon, cheap, waterproof, a few sizes 20, 25 & 30L, and can be had in bright colours. Mines great for the days I need to carry in a fair amount of kit. Back can get a bit sweaty but no worse than other rucksacks IMO, straps are webbed so no issues there.

addy6402

Another Alpkit Gourdon here, nicely waterproof and good value.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Used a Berghaus Freeflow for,um, 10yrs, now. Secure/stable on the back, quite comfortable and airy. A sight easier to manage, off road,than panniers, IMO.

riddoch

timbuk2 phoenix
    Large central pocket, seperate padded laptop storage, surprisingly stable given only shoulder straps, water resistant, side pocket for dlock.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any suggestions for commuting rucksacks?’ is closed to new replies.