Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any STW meteorologist about? – how to predict misty / foggy mornings?
  • jairaj

I would like to get a photo of a nice atmospheric misty sunrise in the countryside around the herts/bucks border.

What weather conditions do I need to look for to help me predict if a morning might be misty / foggy?

And what weather website or app would you recommend I use?

thank you

Drac

Fog or mist.

jairaj

I’m guessing as you asked the question my assumption of them being the same thing is incorrect? 🙁

I would like to photograph fine water droplets in the air, close to the ground. ie I can be at the top of a hill in clear air where as towards the bottom and in the valleys there will be the misty foggy stuff.

What is that called?

stgeorge

The only difference is the visibilty, fog is dense mist or mist is less dense fog

ferrals
    Free Member

I am guessing here but, high pressure, minimal wind, high humidity are all probably all good indicators. Don’t the met office give fog/mist in their weather forecasts?

Drac

Don’t the met office give fog/mist in their weather forecasts?

Yup.

In the summer you want a humid night just after the rain in autumn winter just cold damp days will increase the chances.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much any still morning, the mist forms as the humid daytime air cools and condenses, so as long as it doesn’t blow away you get mist.

You’ll need to be up early, it burns off quickly, this was taken about 5min after ‘sunrise’, 5 mi later it was clear.

Misty morning on the Berks / Oxfordshire border last weekend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M7YWXm]2016-10-10_10-20-51[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

joshvegas
    Free Member

O tried to do this once but i fog-got to set my alarm (or it easn’t cloud enough) and mist it admittedly it wasn’t too cirrus a mist-ake but it was a rubbish stratus to the morning.

Sometimes life can be so haard

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A couple more:

This is the same place as the firs, but with a shorter exposure to get a more ‘dawn’ feel. You have to be clever to get the pic you want rather than what it actually looks like.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MCv6nQ]2016-10-10_10-21-02[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

And about a km later the mist is already burning off

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MUwLoE]2016-10-10_10-21-12[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

Bivi is the best way to guarentee seeing it! But you still need to set an alarm for 30min before dawn.

scotroutes

Conditions can vary if you are fairly close to the sea too. I bivvied out on the Pentland Hills overlooking Edinburgh and got a few of the sea mist/fog (we call it haar) overnight and at dawn.

As already said, you generally want still, damp conditions.

You might also want to investigate temperature inversion, which causes a similar phenomenon in hilly areas.

jairaj

lovely thanks all for the info.

Andy_B

Go to the met office and sign up for general aviation services. Pick an alert service for a suitable airfield and you’ll get an email the evening before. You’ll also get loads of alerts for wind or thunderstorms but not really any more than a couple of emails a day.

richmars

Leave your camera at home, that will ensure foggy conditions with impressive sun raise.

andymac
    Free Member

From my Met notes the following condition help promote radiation fog:

Clear Skies overnight
    High Relative Humidity
    Long cooling period – to allow the temperature to fall below the dew point
    Light winds – too light = heavy dew
    Low lying ground

Dispersed by:

Solar Heating
    Strong Winds
    Drier Air
    Cloud sheet arriving overnight

jam-bo

Warm days, clear cold nights. Much like we are getting at the moment.

CountZero

A good sign is a day when it’s been raining, then the sky clears and the temperature drops over night.
    Also, be prepared to be up well before dawn, 5 am for taking photos around 6 am, for example. I’ve been seeing some lovely misty conditions recently, perfect for photos, but as I’m doing 70mph on the southbound M5, getting them is not really an option.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any STW meteorologist about? – how to predict misty / foggy mornings?’ is closed to new replies.