Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • any ss riders want to play with my funny shaped ring
  • tazzymtb

I’ve just changed to a bigger front rotor Q ring and seeing as they are bloomin expensive if anyone wants to borrow one for a short trial to play with it to see if they will like the secret art of spinnimoshi to go faster with less effort let me know.

And no you don’t need a chain tensioner and yes they work with propper ss frames

singlespeedstu

How big is your ring Tazz?

I’d like to try it but not if it’s a bit big for me. 😛

tazzymtb

Its a 33 stu and you can adjust it’s position to give more spin or grunt so you can run a bigger gear without stalling

Xckeef is having a go on my ring as well so he can have sloppy seconds

singlespeedstu

I hope he leaves it well lubed for me.

Ringo
    Free Member

i might well ahve a play with ya ring too Taz 😀

tazzymtb

Ringo, ya welcome to matey you can share with keef after stu has abused it

Ringo
    Free Member

catch up with ya after ssec

schmiken

A bigger front Q ring? I thought they only did one SS ring?

tazzymtb

I have been running an uber light 33T version, just going to the beefier 34T (which is still cnc’d to within an inch if it’s life) 😀

from a 4 arm version of this

to one of these

schmiken

If you decided to sell the 33T I’d gladly take it off your hands!

tazzymtb

by the time these other chaps have used it, I wouldn’t offer it for sale. I might give it away to someone nice though to restore my karma 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Hold on a minute,,,, ‘go faster with less effort’- that must be up my lazy ar%ed street!- Perhaps I could have a play if you ever get round to putting my midleburns on?

tazzymtb

you have an uno pop, I’ll need to lend you my spare spider as well. I’m such a nice chap. I think tom and sim want to hammer my ring as well and Picto is having ring envy and may be joining me in 34T spinnimoshi*.

god damn it my advantages are diminishing, I’ll have to start cheating

*the ancient art of pedaling like a loon 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How do you keep tension on with a q ring on ss?

tazzymtb

you set the tension when the cranks are between 3-4 o’clock which is the biggest part of the ring depending on the power position. That way when you are going over bumpy bits, drops etc, with the cranks more level the chain is at the highest tension and when it’s as it’s slackest (which still isn’t much) the chain is under tension as you are pedaling away like a goodun

Keef
    Free Member

mmm,looking foreward to fiddling with your ring Taz,of course,I’ll be using a nice dry waxxy lube on it…………

damo2576
    Free Member

Biopace?

tazzymtb

damo2576- not quite, Rotors actually work unlike biopace which were foul and evil things, although I thought mine looked cool for about 5 minutes when I got one many many years ago

chainslapp
    Free Member

You seem to have an odd shaped ring there Tazzy. It looks as though its through abuse to me. Have you been keeping it well lubed to stop excessive wear?

tazzymtb

I’ve found that I kept getting gritty mud encrusted around my ring after meeting boys in carparks at night at cannock. This may have something to do with the odd shape 😀

bruneep

Hmm strangely drawn to this concept, if there is any life left on your ring after others have used it may I try it out. 😯

chainslapp
    Free Member

Tazzy, you will wish you never offered for others to try out your ring, as there is so much interest in having a go of your ring, that I just wonder what state your ring will be in when everyone has thrashed it to within a millimetre of its life. And from the picture, it looks as though your ring has had a bit of a bashing as its black around the outside.

Clink

How you guys getting on with Tazzy’s ring?? (in all seriousness!!)

singlespeedstu

Tazzy should be delivering his ring to me sometime this week.
    I will of course take Tazzys ring into the woods and give it a good hard hammering straight away.
    I should be able to pass comment about Tazzys ring after another few good hard rides with it.

totalshell

didnt Shimano call it a bio ring way back when.. lasted about a week before everybody went back to O

tazzymtb

I’ve told you before stu a dry hammering causes less damage then when it’s all sticky and coated in dirt.

What night is best for you?

Edit: I’m not meant to be here as I’ve been accused of being an attentionwhore so you aint seen me

Clink

😆

tazzy – has the ring (!!!) made a difference to your bike riding?

singlespeedstu

Tomorrow/wednesday/thursday would all be good for me.

tazzymtb

@totalshell biopace was a different beast 🙄

Clink

could somebody answer the question? are they any good?!? 🙄

pegglet
    Free Member

hey tazzy explain why biopace didnt and rotors do? (dont forget first Ovoid chainring tried 1898!) and clink no they dont,but if you ‘think’ they do go for it…..

tazzymtb

clink- yes they do offer an increase in performance as per the independant research papers that I’ve posted previously and more importantly personal experience over many 100’s of miles on the singlespeed. The fact that other skinflint SS riders have also forked out having trialled it themselves is also a testament. If they are so cack why do:

cristoph sauser
    ned overend
    john mylne
    dejay birch

and lots of roadie and cx types all use them? oh yeh, it’s because they’ll all muppetts who will buy into any old rubbish especially if it’s for no benefit 🙄

Clink, once it’s done the rounds I’ll post it to you and you can try it yourself. that way you can make an INFORMED judgment based on your own experience unlike the Standard STW way which to shout and scream unless it’s it’s been ok’d by mbr 😆

Clink

very kind! 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Bio pace was 90degrees out of sync with what the rotors do. Shimano tried to smooth the pedal stroke with biopace and rotor are trying to capitalise on the power portion. You can shift a biopace two bolt holes to get a similar effect.

tazzymtb

PICTO liked my wonky ring so much he joined me in 34T odd shaped front ringyness for racing/riding faster than normal around fields and stuff.

I do know a chap who runs a 34rotor-16rear on a 29er and still boots it up macc forest climbs and then leaves everyone eating dust on the flat bits (really can go off some folks) 😆

singlespeedstu

Unfortunatly Tazz forgot to bring his ring round with him. So I’ve not been able to take it into the woods and see how easy it is to “get up” stuff.

He is going to post his ring to me later though.

Clink

so his ring will be posted through your letterbox?!? 😯

singlespeedstu

I think the postman will throw it up the back passage.

singlespeedstu

Tazzys ring has just been delivered.
    I’m spinning it round on my finger as i type.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Biopace!

Ooh!

(Runs off to rummage in toot box, remembering he has a Biopace ring in there somewhere…)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘any ss riders want to play with my funny shaped ring’ is closed to new replies.