Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any speech ferapists about?
  • geoffj

j junior's teacher has suggested that he may need to be referred, because he sometimes pronounces his ls as ys.

lucky pronounced yucky, mrs fullerton as mrs fuyerton etc.

He's 5, has no other problems and is a happy confident child.

Is this something which can be treated / addressed with exercises?
    Is it something they grow out of?

I'm not too concerned myself, and don't want him to have the stigma of the other kids knowing he's going for special lessons (I'm the only special needs in our house 🙂 ) but if it something he will get real benefit from then it can only be a good thing.

Whaddya think?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this something which can be treated / addressed with exercises?
    Is it something they grow out of?

I had speech therapy when I was six. I had a bit of a problem pronouncing 'S' (the fact that by then, I was learning my third language, ie a new language every 2 years, possibly had something to do with it) Strangely enough, I could pronounce 'ST' fine, so the speech therapist worked on that, making me emphasise the 'S' in 'ST'.

I can't remember how long I went for, but it really wasn't for very long – just a few weeks. And TBH I was a bit miffed that I was robbed of my speech impediment – for me it was mine and it made me special ! Although I'm **** glad about it now 8)

Will your boy grow out of it ? Well I don't know, but later when I went to secondary school I was amazed to discover that a girl there had the same speech impediment that I had had – obviously her's hadn't been treated. And she still had it when she was about 14, which was the last time I saw her.

Your boy will probably enjoy going to speech therapy, I did. I had a rather lovely young lady, and I can still remember one of the poems she taught me to recite 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

I could have done with it. I still have to consciously work on my th sound, and it is a hassle. I'd go for it now, while it is something free that just happens automatically, rather than waiting till he is an adult and it costs money.

Joe

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

Chances are your local surgery will have a speech therapist visiting and you can get him booked in there for an assessment. No need to advertise it to anyone and there you will get a proper appraisal about whether he needs anything doing or not.

My completely uneducated guess would be 'he'll grow out of it'.

kiwijohn

The mrs says get it sorted now. She's a speechie.

badnewz
    Free Member

I had fairly intense speech therapy for about two years, starting when I was seven. It is worth nipping in the bud early on, as it could lead to teasing at secondary school. I had two therapists, one was too strict and made it a real chore, the other was far more pleasant, and I was allowed to go play afterwards (important to have something to look forward to as otherwise it can seem like your unfairly being given extra lessons).
    One of my most vivid early memories was when I could say the word 'treasure' properly for the first time, at which point the therapist said, that's it your done.

Our lad's 6 & he's been seeing a speech person now for about 12 months & now he's sorted. No sigma with the other kids at school & it has raised his self confidence.

Get it done, it'll help him which is what counts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any speech ferapists about?’ is closed to new replies.