Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Sparks on here?
  • D28boy
    Free Member

This weekend Mrs D28 noticed an electrical burning type smell in the garage….after poking around I discovered that the plug on an big old American style fridge freezer that we have in there which is plugged into an extention lead was melting…. but still working! This fridge & lead has been in place and untouched for about 10 years.The fridge motor had been noisy for a while but I attributed this to the hot weather.So what’s gone wrong?

I cut off the old plug and fitted a new one and all seems fine now. The fridge is now silent again and there is absolutely no heat at the plug \ extension lead connection..

Will we all die?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Not a sparky but sounds like arcing caused by a loose wire.

D28boy
    Free Member

Cheers ..that’s what I thought it may have been …though as I said the plug has basically been untouched for 10 years…but I suppose if it was loose then it could have started from the smallest of movements at anytime.

the-muffin-man

The fridge door could have been left open a little causing it to draw extra power?

And make sure the extension lead isn’t curled-up. Better to shorten and have straight.

RustySpanner

Any Sparks on here?

There were a couple, but this place wasn’t big enough for the both of them.

Sorry, coat on, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Sparks on here?’ is closed to new replies.