Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any sparkies/plumbers in tonight – shower content
  • Taff
    Free Member

Smelt burning in the bathroom yesterday and this morning it was worse. Could smell it from shower casing so have taken it off and had a look. It’s a Tritan Biarritz 2 so a bit old by now

Neutral connector has melted. I’m not sure but the casing at the top wasn’t properly fitted so hell knows how long it’s been like that. Could have had a bit of water go in perhaps? Seems dry inside. Do you think I’ll be ok just replacing the connector?
    Not entirely sure why it has gone but the connector is looking quite rusty but will clean up. Presumably this is the issue? It’s 10mm cabling from CU to shower via pulll cord so can’t see any issues there.
    Any thoughts?

donks
    Free Member

Looks like the node is very corroded and has caused a bad connection on the neutral conductor. I would replace
    If not then I hope you have an rcd fitted

chaz
    Free Member

defanitly replace, do not use

Neil-F
    Free Member

I’d probably try cleaning it up, but if that didn’t work you can get a new heater can for it. I’ve got a Triton TS80 and I replaced the heatcan about 2 years ago because the element was shorting.

Neil-F
    Free Member

In fact, that isn’t a standard fitting on there, its a block connector thats been bodged onto a (probably) broken heater terminal. The connector was probably too small and has melted. Thats maybe why the cover wasn’t on right.

teasel
    Free Member

The cans can work out a rather expensive option when you consider that Screwfix are knocking-out a model that’d fit straight in without wire* or water modding…

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-enrich-electric-shower-10-5kw/85818#

*If the set-up already runs from a 50a circuit

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments all and the email. Went to put a new connector on it and then realised that the cable would then be too short. I can’t be bothered spending that much on it as I wanted to buy a new shower when I refit the bathroom. I had looked at the Enrich earlier but the 8.5kW to match the existing. Seems like it could be a pretty straight forward swap

project
    Free Member

One of my customers had her shower catch fire, it burnt out the bathroom and filled the house full of black smoke,luckily she got out just in time.

There is also a lotof current and water in a shower, and if youre standing in a metal bath being covered in water.

Well……………………..

Cougar

Metal bath? Is it 1889 again?

Taff
    Free Member

Ceramic shower tray here. Guess ill be ok then! 🙄

Inside of the enrich are 1mm different from mine it would seem. At least I have a lime scale free Gower head to look forward to!

murf
    Free Member

There is also a lotof current and water in a shower, and if youre standing in a metal bath being covered in water. Well……………

Well, the rcd should trip within 200mS and stop you getting a shock. Unless you have an old db with only mcb’s or rewireable fuses, even they will trip almost instantly in the event of a dead short. Smouldery connections can be a problem though.

Taff
    Free Member

I don’t have an isolator valve for the pipe work. Who ever installed this system need to be shot!

Taff
    Free Member

New shower installed. Feels cheap in comparison with my old one but then so did the ones £100 more! About to test it out properly

Taff
    Free Member

Shower seems good. Need to replace the shower head as it’s tiny. Works ok but now noticing the temperature of the water gets a lot warmer when the bathroom tap is turned on. Not sure why.

jam-bo

drop in cold water flow.

Taff
    Free Member

Yes it’s a drop in pressure but not sure why it’s happening now, pretty sure I compared the two units and there were no issues. Didn’t get it with the old unit

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any sparkies/plumbers in tonight – shower content’ is closed to new replies.