I'm looking to create a portable recording setup on a seriously short shoestring...
I have a 5 piece drum kit (actually, 7 piece but I can live without the two smallest toms) with 5 drum mics - one each for kick, snare, floor & two rack toms. These are cheap things that came with XLR-jack leads, and I've since plugged the jack ends into jack-XLR adapters.
I also have a laptop with a cheap recording studio package on, which seems to work quite well, and quite simply too (I also have Cakewalks Sonar on my desktop so I could export from the cheap package as WAV files & then import onto the Sonar system as audio tracks & mix down on that).
and a Behringer USB interface, which has one headphone socket and one stereo (?) 1/4in jack input socket
my plan is this:
1) plug 5 drum mics into a small mixing desk
2) plug the outputs from this desk into the USB interface
3) plug the interface into the laptop & take the whole lot into the band's rehearsal room
4) record the drum tracks for all of our songs, live, with the rest of the band in the same room. I appreciate there may be some bleed through from the guitar amps & p/a into the drum mics - which may not be a bad thing if it's not too obvious - could be used as a guide track for...
5) record the individual guitar, bass, keyboards & vocals later
so my question is this:
what's my best compromise between cheap and useful:
a) this desk: http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-mg102c-10-channel-mixing-desk.html - £91 and in stock in my Local store
b) this desk: http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/wharfedale-connect-802-usb-6-channel-mixing-desk.html - £69 and in stock in my local store
c) this cheap box: http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-channel-mono-mixer-31136 - £20 - or maybe
d) this slightly less cheap box: http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-channel-stereo-mixer-31137 - £28
a) looks to me like a nice piece of kit and will get lots of use for as long as I'm doing music. would one of my mics go into one of the Line inputs? or would I only be able to use 4 mics at a time?
b) looks like it'll only take 4 inputs at a time so I'll have to decide whether I want two mics on the rack toms & none on the floor tom, or one between them and one on the floor tom - subject to the line inputs working with drum mics
c) cheap, but see (b) above
d) cheap and I'd have to decide which drums to go into each of the L and R channels