Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any Android Smartwatch owners? Question about Strava on bike rides.
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a Sony Smartwatch 3 which my wife gave me for Christmas. I’m having a bit of bother with the GPS- it seems to jump around a lot on rides and on Strava my rides can end up like this-

You can see straight lines were the GPS jumps from where I am, to somewhere a long way away, then back. The ride above in the Forest of Dean was tracked at 42 miles- my friends tracked it at 14.

I’m not after total accuracy, I just want a decent annual mileage log and to make sure most of my rides are over 15 miles. Can I activate strava on my watch and get it to use only the GPS in the phone, which I’ll usually have with me? If I activate it on my phone it doesn’t show up on my watch, which is where I want to see what I’ve done.

Or, does this imply a problem with the GPS in the watch? I know they aren’t very accurate, but 41 miles versus 14 sounds to me like it could be faulty.

jes
    Free Member

Also got Sony smart watch 3.

Not had the issues above, great for saving phone battery.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not had that though I don’t use the GPS on it much as I let the Garmin do that. The stupid strap that pops open as soon as things get bumpy is a bad design though

pocpoc
    Free Member

Can’t hekp with the watch, but there is an option on Strava to fix a gps trace on the desktop site version.
    Never used it myself, but this is the sort of thing it’s intended for.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

smart watch 3 here too, although i use endomondo rather than strava. no issues like that for me, it seems pretty accurate- in endomondo you have a setting option in the app to either use GPS locally on the watch or the phone though, and can still view stats on the watch either way.

nre
    Free Member

I use a sw3 with Strava. App set to use phone GPS. If you start logging using the watch app, it’ll show stats on watch screen but use phone GPS. That’s what I do…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Generally, I’m finding GPS tracking on my month old Sony Smartwatch3 to be very erratic.

But part of this might be the standalone version of Ghostracer that I started trying around the same time, which can fail to get any GPS lock before wanting to head off riding.

I’ve been trying the standalone Strava version recently on the watch while running Polar Beat (to get more info from my new H7 heart sensor) on my Nexus 7 2013 tablet, which tends to get a pre-ride lock very quickly compared to ghostracer and seems to be recording better. The data seems pretty comparable to the Polar recording.

My next test is to see if standalone Strava will link up with my Polar H7 on the watch. Strava on the tablet picks up the H7 bluetooth signal fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any Android Smartwatch owners? Question about Strava on bike rides.’ is closed to new replies.