Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any sole traders here, what do you call yourself?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

I don’t mean the name of your business, say on your business card – would you use owner, proprietor, director etc to describe yourself? Presuming there’s no legal issue if you are not a limited company and you choose to use ‘director’ which I guess sounds more poncy/important?

maccruiskeen

strictly speaking non of those apply as theres no ‘thing’ to own/direct. So if theres no requirement I don’t put anything. When I’ve had to fill in forms (tenders, trade credit applications etc) theres a box that needs filling in I use ‘proprietor’ out of habit if nothing else.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“director” of a sole trading business entity?

I’d laugh long and hard if I saw that on a business card.

“proprietor” is honest at least.

footflaps

Senior Vice President Plumbing

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve never had a business card in 9 years.

kcal

Job description, I suppose. Proprietor describes what you are in relation to the sole trader entity.

Software developer, my_trading_name.

Suggsey
    Free Member

How about, “the one, the only”

redstripe
    Free Member

If you have a couple of people who work for you on and off I guess you are ‘directing’ them, but personal preference is proprietor if you have to use something

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Unhygienix.

Next!

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Simply the best”?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Executive Lord.

djambo
    Free Member

Chief Fishmonger

bencooper
    Free Member

I use owner if I have to, on the theory that as a sole trader I own it.

I use ‘Proprietor’. It’s still a business, regardless of whether I’ve registered with CH, I employ people and I carry out contracts etc.

I know someone who claims to be the Director of his ST business – I chuckle a little every time I see it written. I was even in business with him for a short period and told him it was nonsense, but he wouldn’t listen.

I also used to work alongside someone who, as a Sole Trader, insisted on having a Bank Account that he would draw ‘wages’ from, believing that’s what he would be taxed on. He wouldn’t listen to me when I told him otherwise – i.e. you are the ‘Business’. A year or so later he finally conceded, when his accountant told him the same as I’d been telling him

Edric64
    Free Member

My cards have my name and job on anything else is bull.

Just for the record, I wouldn’t put a ‘title’ on a card – occasionally when filling out forms for various things, it’s a requirement to state your position within the company – that’s when I use ‘proprietor’

Rubber_Buccaneer

Master of the universeeeeeee

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY[/video]

mattbee

Deputy manager, then have an imaginary person as ‘Manager’ who you can blame/deflect stuff to if there are problems…

shermer75
    Free Member

“Oh my god, it even has a watermark..”

Haha, I’d forgotten how brilliant that movie is!!

myti
    Free Member

Manager

gavinpearce
    Free Member

le grand fromage

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any sole traders here, what do you call yourself?’ is closed to new replies.