Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Any snorers in the house? Help save my relationship!
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Had my dangly thing at the back of my throat removed (no differance to my snorning)weight loss helps but not as much as separate rooms – she misses the sex but hey hoo small price for a good night’s sleep….. yep I know…..

ninfan
    Free Member

Isn’t prostate massage supposed to be an effective cure for Snoring?

sadexpunk

havent read the whole thread but this just came up on my facebook feed. cheap enough to give a try mebbes?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Sleep on your front/side.

BlobOnAStick

I found an iPhone app to be quite useful – mainly for identifying what sort of snoring ‘I’ suffered from (well, it is the Mrs who suffers)

Look up Snorelab – it selectively records your noises from your bedside table overnight and you can track the effects of certain triggers or antidotes over time (the app gives you a snore score each morning and you can compare this with, say, how many pints you had etc)

Anyway, I think mine has improved with the summer months and a reduction in alcohol consumption (not necessarily on the evening of the night I snored as pointed out above)

Hope that helps

binners

Cheers fella

Just downloaded that. I’ll give it a try tonight and see what it comes up with. I suspect the earlier assertion of “lose some weight, fatty!” may be the starting point.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty

Isn’t that that Icelandic volcano?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ve got a deviated septum, from getting smashed in the nose a lot when younger….if I lie on my side it helps. Open the window too, as I’m worse if the room is stuffy.
    When I’m really bad, I have been know to wake myself up, which just pi**es me off no end!

I’ve also woken myself up with a stinky pop..”…

mrblobby
    Free Member

SnoreLab app is good if you want to experiment to see what makes it better or worse.

Evening exercise definitely makes mine worse. Been using a throat spray (snoreeze) recently which seems to help a bit. Also bed made up in spare room, one wake up and I’m gone.

Tried the nose strips and they didn’t seem to help much and I couldn’t get use to them. Also tried a throat foam thing, made me gag and no better than the spray.

Not sure Mrs B would be keen on waking up next to the mask thing…

allan23
    Free Member

Read through with interest….

Snoring Ring.

Isn’t that just a euphemism for farting?

zigzag69
    Free Member

Here’s how I’ve dealt with the wife’s snoring:

1. Separate bed and room, which is a bit shite but you do get to make your other half feel guilty about your ‘garret’, or
    2. Ambient noise to drown out the snoring – in my case running a small fan on the table by my side of the bed all night*. Works pretty well, especially since my wife wears ear-plugs (presumably to drown out her own bloody snoring). I usually make it most of the way through the night without waking up, and when I do I get back to sleep no problem.

I think there’s also an app for the phone that’ll let you listen to the sea, or whale-song, or something suitably new-age like that. Like the idea but haven’t tried it.

* Plus anecdotal evidence indicates that it also helps blow my delightful farts beyond the nasal reach of Mrs zigzag.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I am a lifelong intermittent snorrer, and was even when young lithe, sober and deprived of my adenoids by an ENT surgeon at then Girlfriend’s request…

I also have to deal with people complaining of this professionally, and the fact that there is no single simple infallible cure should tell anyone it ain’t simple, and all the cures which some people say are the magic way forwards only work for some people…

So – an approach:

1) Make sure you do not have OSA – ask your partner what happens to your breathing when you snore. Do you stop, obstruct and have to wake/change position? If you do… or if you have a high Epworth Score (google it), do not pass go, do not collect £200, see your GP.
    2) If not, and you used not to snore, try losing weight, drinking less alcohol and sleeping on your side… But – see above – this may not work…
    3) If your nose feels congested, do try Beconase, available over the counter.
    4) Also feel free to buy any cures on the internet, sprays, tapes, diets and crap. God made sheep to be shorn… 😉
    5) If this isn’t working consider either separate rooms, ambient background noise to calm your partner or seeing your GP. ( and getting your thyroid function checked).

UPPP was fashionable a decade back but has a low success rate and hurts, a lot. CPAP is mainly for those with OSA.

So, what worked for me?

Adjust the Snorree, not the Snorrer…

a) One girlfriend amongst a fair few objected, I had surgery as above – no help.
    b) Wife put up with it and said it wasn’t a problem.
    c) Next Partner I lived with slept badly whether I was there or not but blamed me when I was. Separate rooms often. Horrible. That isn’t a relationship I want. And she was a bit mad.
    d) My partner now who is absolutely a keeper gets annoyed by it very occasionally but can fall asleep right next to me… and it isn’t an issue.

It takes two for someone to be disturbed by snorring, and sometimes it is worth looking at both people…

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Any snorers in the house? Help save my relationship!’ is closed to new replies.