Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any Sky Engineers? Odd signal problem and multiroom question
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Any Sky engineers can answer a bit of an issue I am having at the moment

Sky+ box will be working fine then on certain channels it drops signal
    This happens randomly, its not due to certain weather or atmospheric conditions, and the dish is not obstructed etc
    Seems to happen more on the ‘freeview/terrestial’ channels especially 1-5 than on any of the Sky channels (Atlantic etc)
    What I have noticed is that I can be on a channel and the signal strength will be fine on both inputs and they are showing as ‘locked’
    Change channel and input 2 (or sometimes input 1) suddenly loses all signal so loss of picture / distorted picture
    If I disconnect the input that is gone the picture then comes back fine with only one input connected, but attach the 2nd input again and the signal goes again
    Its not always the same input/cable that goes, seems random. Connections are both good, no signs of corrosion etc

Turn off box and leave it for a while usually fixes it but its happening increasingly often now to a point where it is un-usable

I have tried swopping boxes around with the multiroom box and get the same issue so I don’t think it’s the dish, or the box and the cable and connections appear to be fine along the length

What else can I try? If it means £65 to call Sky out I will rather just cancel the multiroom, save the money and have it only in one room.

Which leads me to next question – If I cancel can I state which box I want turning off? And can I put the still active card in the disconnected box temporarily to be able to watch all the stuff that’s recorded on it?

unovolo
    Free Member

When you say your swapping with the multi room box ,are you bringing the 2nd box and installing it where the main(faulty)box is ie.living room or vice versa?

The issue with the second input dropping out in my experience(8yrs as a Sky engineer) sounds most likely that the box is beginning to fail especially as you state it fixes itself after being unplugged for awhile however it could be either be dish/cable/lnb related, just because the multi room box is working fine means nothing as all the sat feeds from the lnb work independently of one an other.

To be fare its worth getting a engineer to first and troubleshoot with test meter, just threaten to cancel and you will normally get the service call for free or a nominal fee.

Plus bear in mind that if your box needs replacing it will be a free upgrade to a recon HD sky+ box so you can then get the benefit of streaming catch up TV.

iain1775
    Free Member

Recon box hardly an upgrade!
    Failing box is a 14 month old 2tb Sky + HD box, multi room box is already latest model sky+ HD box with built in wifi
    So if I end up with a recon box that’s actually a downgrade and I would loose everything stored on current box that is otherwise still watchable
    (I’ve already cancelled the HD as it’s not worth the extra)

When move failing box to 2nd room it’s fine
    And multi room box in main room also fine (but as it’s an intermittent thing short of leaving them swooped over for a few days I can’t be sure)

Cougar

I’d hazard if you rang to say “sort it out for free or I’ll cancel” they might well jump.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any Sky Engineers? Odd signal problem and multiroom question’ is closed to new replies.