Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any Singletrackers suffer from a hiatus hernia? Best course of treatment etc?
  • devash
    Free Member

I was diagnosed recently with a sliding hiatus hernia (where your stomach pushes up through your oesophagus) after suffering for years with heartburn, chest pain and generally not feeling 100%. I’ve been taking strong acid suppression drugs for nearly 5 years with no real respite and my GP reckons I may be a good candidate for surgery.

Its been good to finally know what the deal is after being told by numerous GP’s and consultants over the years that “it’s all in my head” but as I’m only 31 the idea of some fairly major surgery scares me.

Apparently this is a fairly common condition that unfortunately can impede some people more than others so it would be good to hear from anyone with similar stories / advice for different treatment routes.

bentandbroken

What pills were/are you on?

Self medicated Zantac worked for me for years

After a very bad ‘incident’ I was prescribed Pantoprazole in a hefty dose worked well for me for another few years
    A new GP advised a change to Lanzoprazole in a more sensible dose. It worked well for a few months, but then led to really bad side effects
    Omniprazole in an even lower does is now doing the job

Note; the spelling of the above may not be right, but should be close enough!

devash
    Free Member

Over the past few years I’ve been on most of the ‘zoles’ (Pantoprazole, Lansoprazole, Omeprazole, Esomeprazole). Esomeprazole worked the best for a good 6 months but I started to have really bad side effects from them (numb face, limbs, panic attacks, muscle twitches, a few very scary seizure-like moments) so the doctor took me off them.

Currently back to omeprazole which I seem to tolerate the best but they still make me feel like crap.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Lanzoprazole for the past 15 years here, does the job.
    I was offered the op, but unless it’s changed, it’s major stuff, not worth the risk in my opinion.

yosemitepaul

Not posted on here, more of an observer.
    Yes, I also have an HH and you have my every sympathy. Heartburn, chest pain, feelings of something stuck in the gullet and feeling fairly crap are part of daily life.
    I’ve recently taken to omeprazole in the morning and evening. Trying not to eat after early evening and no alcohol. By doing this, I allow my stomach to digest the food before bed time and thus reduce the chance of night time heatburn.
    Previous episodes have lasted for months then I feel fine. Am 3 months into this episode and hope it finishes soon!
    Spoke to my GP re surgery and he suggested it wasn’t much fun having the op with no guarantee of success. He went on to say that he actually wouldn’t allow me to have it.
    Obviously you may be very different.
    As I say you have my sympathies, good luck with any decision you may make.

scubashark
    Free Member

Yes sort of suffer from HH as I had one created when I had an op for Achalasia back in 93 ( oesophagus has stopped working )they rolled the bottom of the oesophagus inside out to allow food to pass through, means I have open passage from mouth to stomach and have been on Omeprazole since 93. The biggest issue I have is I cannot eat without drinking fluids as its this that pushes the food down, started at 23 now 44 and will be like this for the rest of my life.
    Surgery is usually key hole now so you should be ok

devash
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info people. Paul, I can totally sympathise with the episodic nature of the ‘flair-ups’. I can go two or three weeks of feeling great, then it just starts up something rotten after I accidentally drink a coffee or eat a piece of chocolate, leading to a good month or two of solid pain and sleepless nights.

Will discuss with the doctor about maybe switching up the meds and trying to keep tabs on my diet.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m on Lansoprazole and it’s been a revelation.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I dont think its a dead cert the the op will work and provide a permanent fix especally if you cycle – ive had so much reflux in my left lung it is now scarred permanently, just keep on with antacids.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Devash- From what I’ve read it seems like you’ve gone down the majority of the Medication/Diet routes and the only option would be surgery.
    A referal to a Consultant (Think its General Surgery) to discuss the surgery would be a good idea.

But from what I’ve read about the Surgery and the problems you’ve had with medications, i think id take my chances and go for it. Wont be nice eating just a Soft Diet for 6 weeks but got to be better than taking medications with nasty side effects?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any Singletrackers suffer from a hiatus hernia? Best course of treatment etc?’ is closed to new replies.