Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any sign of Bontrager Chupacabra tyres in the UK yet?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Calling Trek and Bontrager dealers, and other fatbike stockists in the UK. Have you seen any sign of the new Bontrager Chupacabra tyres yet?

Chupacabra

Cheers

Paceman

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Doesn’t look very big mounted

Paceman
    Free Member

I agree, not a true 3″ tyre, probably why it weighs a bit less than the other available 29+ options. Where’d you get it from?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

not my pic, pulled it from the Krampus FaceBook group

mastakillah
    Free Member

No sign of it at Trek UK. Although they are aware of it. I asked if there was going to be a bike to go with it, as Trek rarely do a tire to fit a bike they don’t make. Answer from Trek, “We can niether confirm or deny that we will be doing a 29er+ next year” said with a huge grin! So I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Paceman
    Free Member

That’s interesting, thanks Mastakillah. I hope they hurry up with the tyres at least, it sounds on Facebook like they’re starting to become available stateside in a few dealers.

Paceman
    Free Member

Any UK Trek dealers able to get hold of these yet?

Clobber
    Free Member

anything else 29+ available yet?

Available:
    Knard, Chronicle

On the way:
    Dirt Wizard, Chupacabra, Panaracer

Anything else…?

Paceman
    Free Member

Anything else 29+ available yet?

Available:
    Knard, Chronicle

On the way:
    Dirt Wizard, Chupacabra, Panaracer

Anything else…?

Nothing else yet as far as I know, but since the original Surly Krampus there are quite a few brands introducing a 29+ bikes to their range which should get things moving on the tyre front, e.g. Niner, Genesis, Jones, Singular, and Travers; and also more wider 35mm+ rims becoming available.

Lots of info about 29+ here…

http://gomeansgo.org/2015/01/17/is-29-the-next-fat/

Martin.B
    Free Member

Not sure if these are coming to the UK – Vee Trax fatty

http://veetireco.com/product/trax-fatty/

Paceman
    Free Member

Lot’s of photos of Bonty Chupacabra’s coming up in fatbike Facebook groups but all in the USA at the moment. Hopefully there’s a shipment on it’s way over.

Paceman
    Free Member

Trek won’t ship them outside the U.S. from what I can gather, crazy marketing policy 🙁

Clobber
    Free Member

Looks like we may have another option…

Bomboloni

Paceman
    Free Member

They look promising, lighter and more grippy than a Knard…

cokie

Looks like there are a lot more options coming-
    > Maxxis
    > Surly
    > Panaracer
    > Bontrager
    > Schwalbe
    > Vee rubber

Question is- will 29er+ phase out in favour of 650B+?

BillOddie

Chupacabras would be nice but…

Dry = Surly Knard (never used one but I have heard good things about them in the dry/horror stories in the wet.
    Middling/Allround = Maxxis Chronicle (120TPI EXO sidewall version) this is the only tyre I have used on my Krampus and it works well in everything bar proper claggy slippy mud.
    Wet/Winter grimness = Surly Dirt Wizard (the chinese democracy tyre) with (on my mk1 Krampus) something like a 2.5 Minion in the back for bite and clearance.

Charlie The Bikemonger now has stock of Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 29×3, which are supposed to be OK, have a look on MTBR for US users views.

Paceman
    Free Member

Don’t hold your breath on Dirt Wizards arriving anytime soon. Surly are notoriously slow with getting new products out to market, particularly tyres 😐

Good to see some new 29+ tyres arriving on these shores though. I still think the Chupacabras look the best all-round option, hopefully the Trek/Bonty stockists will get them in this year 🙄

wwaswas

Saw a Chupacababarabra last night, Paceman on Jim’s Trek 29+. I’m hoping they do a 26″ version and it’s available soon. Perfect Stanmer Summer tyre.

TimP
    Free Member

Beat me to it wwaswas!

GregMay
    Free Member

Surly are notoriously slow with getting new products out to market, particularly tyres

It’s almost like they give a siht about what they release isn’t it. Mad Ted, mad.

Clobber
    Free Member

Saw a Chupacababarabra last night, Paceman on Jim’s Trek 29+.

Any indication on UK availability?

wwaswas

Give South Downs Bikes a ring – it was their test bike he was riding.

Paceman
    Free Member

From what i’ve heard on the Facebook 29+ group the Chupacabras will only be available to start with on the complete Trek Stache bikes in the UK. I’d assume the tyres will follow though once the Stache is available.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Now Due 05/08/15.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Priced at £89.99

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any sign of Bontrager Chupacabra tyres in the UK yet?’ is closed to new replies.