• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by fadda.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any shorts with waterproof rear that actually work ?
  • roverpig

Very few of my rides seem to involve rain actually falling from the sky, but they pretty much all involve splashing through puddles or more generally soggy trails. I’m not a fan of rear mudguards on a full suss bike so like the idea of a short the is waterproof at the back but breathes nicely at the front. I’ve been using (the older model) Endura MT500, which are OK, but don’t really work. The bit you sit on is waterproof enough to withstand the spray thrown at it but it still seeps through as soon as you sit back down on the (now soaked) saddle. The rest of the rear is splashproof, but soon wets out.

So, is there anything that works any better?

scaredypants

army surplus goretex bibs ?

matt_outandabout

Not in my experience – as you say, seating forces it in and my bahooki is a sweaty place.

Having said that, it is still way better than a normal pair of shorts to have proper waterproof ones in real wet and ‘splash patch’ in kind of damp.

Now, if Sombrio would resurrect and make me a pair of soft shell, stretchy with splash patch and two simple zipped pockets.

kiwijohn

I just got some Vaude spray shorts. They seem to work well & have a reinforced seat too.
    My only real problem is they’re too small. Should have got a large in stead of a medium.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madison addict.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

tried MT500’s and the didn’t work, i’ve got to say the Altura Attack are in a different league and work pretty darn well, in fact after every ride i do in them i pass comment to the wife at how good they are

roverpig

Thanks. I have Altura Attack shorts, which are great when it’s actually raining. Maybe I’ll just have to use them when he trails are soggy as well, but if it’s not actually falling from the sky I’d prefer to have something more breathable on the front.

cinnamon_girl

Gore Bike Wear.

StuE
    Free Member

Vaude spray shorts on offer at crc for £45.50,my Altura Attacks came apart at the seams yesterday in the Dales,so I might try some of the Vaude shorts
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vaude-spray-shorts-iii-aw14/rp-prod117882

qwerty
    Free Member

Altura Shields here, I don’t particularly ride in the rain, but do ride when its wet out. I have 2 pairs, oldest ones are coming undone around the zip pockets (which I don’t really use). I plan to return them as under 1yr old.

fadda

I got a pair of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00W7J8JSW/ref=pd_aw_sim_sg_20?refRID=18YW187VXMZZ7JFSZ8R4 before the winter, and have been very pleased with them…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any shorts with waterproof rear that actually work ?’ is closed to new replies.