Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Scout/Guide people about?
  • MoreCashThanDash

I know from previous threads there are a few on here.

I have been pressganged volunteered to go on the executive committee of Jnr’s Scout group, in what was described as an assistant group scout leader role, picking up some of the tasks that she is struggling to keep on top of.

It’s a really successful group, too successful in some ways as we can’t attract enough leaders to keep up with demand. Our waiting lists are big enough to set up second Beaver and Cub groups straight away, and our current leaders are all co-opted on to various district and county roles as well. And they are ALL working at the Peak jamboree this summer (as is MrsMC who is a Guide leader).

The initial list of tasks heading my way includes organising and expanding the Christmas card delivery service, being responsible for the scout hut, the insurance, hiring it out (we are lucky enough to own our hut) and all the kit – the inventory is a couple of years out date already. I’m sure more will follow….

Any tips on what to do, what to look out for, what not to do, or just moral boosting tales of derring do to convince me that this was a good idea?

cbike
    Free Member

You’ll get advice from Scout HQ and they train you.

Sandwich

The long waiting list can be cleared by the requirement for parents to contribute to the group. It works for a lot of the rural Suffolk groups who insist on parental help and/or leading.
    There is a tendency for some parents to use Scouts as cheap child minding.

MoreCashThanDash

We already get the parents to contribute to help with the queue issue. We have lots of parent helpers, but no one stepping up and going into uniform to help us get extra units off the ground.

takisawa2

I got the “it’s only an hour a week” speil to get my youngest in to Beavers…
    Three years on, it’s the best hour of the week.
    And thanks to the Leader retiring, I’m now running the group. 🙂

Not sure about the assistant GSL role, not into the exec side of things, gets too political for me.
    Getting us on to OSM was a big step. It streamlines the admin side.
    OSM will let you establish a parent’s rota easily.
    We have three Beavers/Cubs & Scout groups.
    Waiting lists got daft a few years ago, not helped by the fact they are at Cubs for 3 years.

Ask your DC about someone from HQ doing a “Grow your group” course.

MoreCashThanDash

We don’t have a DC at present, and we are probably the most successful group in the district. Which is worrying!

Sandwich

As Takisawa says above parents have to become leaders as well as helpers if the extra capacity is to be realised. Without a good exec committee and GSL keeping the leaders enthused can be difficult.
    I am no longer a leader as the exec team at my group were not encouraging and I all ready had a job that grabbed 60 hours of my time a week with a similar bunch of people who didn’t want to be there or give too much of themselves. It was supposed to be a fun time and I stopped because it wasn’t.

swanny853

When I was leading a troop I what I valued most was help keeping the paperwork/forward planning and organisation things in line. GSL/AGSL can be helpful here. That was not my strong point though, I recommend finding out what your section leaders appreciate a helping hand at and do that! And make sure you’re getting involved- you’ll enjoy it more and it’ll be more likely to get parents involved if they see all the leaders doing fun stuff.

Also, if there seems like a bit of a disconnect between the sections (varies between groups (a lot!)) then group level leaders getting along to all of the sections can tie things together well. Although perhaps not every week unless you have more time than me!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Scout/Guide people about?’ is closed to new replies.