Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any scout leaders on here?
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

A scout group is forming at my kid’s school. I have volunteered as I think it’s an ace idea. Any other STWers involved in such activities?

MoreCashThanDash

Lots, from previous threads.

I’ve been a parent helper and exec committee member for 6-7 years now. It’s been a really positive experience. I love seeing kids respond and grow through the challenges Scouting can offer, and we are desperate for additional leaders as our waiting list is big enough to form second units at all three levels, plus Explorers if we could get the adult volunteers.

Friday night our Scouts presented a cheque to Cancer Research for just shy of £5k that they raised doing a pentathlon challenge a month or two back. Suggested by the kids, as one of the lads is battling it at the moment. Proper lump in throat moment.

Both my kids and my wife (Guide leader) attended the Peak jamboree last year – I was running as hoc support to both units as I couldn’t get the time off work. I don’t put in as much as many do, but just to see that event, 4000 kids having a week long adventure, all provided by volunteers, was awe inspiring.

Yes, kids can be annoying at times, leaders can have personality clashes, it can be a grind, but if you are keen to do it, go ahead. You have nothing to lose, a lot of kids have a lot to gain.

MoreCashThanDash

Come on, I know you are all out there!

monkeychild
    Free Member

lol it’s kinda lonely in here 😛 I see it as a positive thing and I can’t wait. I work with some precious princesses who are men, so I can roll my eyes and laugh at the ridiculous nature of some folk.

backinireland
    Free Member

Yip
    Beavers

pennine
    Free Member

Been an adult member since the late 1960s with numerous leader roles under my belt. Many many happy memories. Can often be surprised by middle aged men stopping me in the street (who were teenagers when I last saw them) saying longtime no see skip & then recalling past scout camps, mountaineering days, where’s so & so etc. Sometimes struggle to remember names due to the passage of time but the comaraderie of those bygone days will stay with me for ever. I still meet up with a gang of old leaders twice a year for a meal & chat.

Enjoy!

Earl
    Free Member

Just had the meeting with the Scout Appointment team last week. They asked why I wanted to be a leader – I said to introduce danger into the kids lives. 1 was shocked – the other 2 nodded approvingly.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

OP clearly wants the special Go Outdoors discount. 😉

baden

Assistant leader here in Newcastle. Come Friday night after a long week it can be hard work. I do it to help kids to get into the outdoors who would not otherwise experience it. When life is stressful it also helps to have a distraction to confirm there is a something other than the immediate challenges that life has on offer all of us.

With a young family it is not always an easy balance, I take my hat off to those who take weeks off to support camps and trips away.

There is also a great variety of training available to match your interests. If you are interested in say mountain biking you can get training and hopefully qualified to take the scouts out.

monkeychild
    Free Member

OP clearly wants the special Go Outdoors discount.

I already get that 😀

There is also a great variety of training available to match your interests.

I have my low ropes qual and MTB leader quals which they were excited about.

My 2 lads will be going, so it will be something we all do 😀

takisawa2

Yes, been a Cat Herder, sorry Beaver Leader, for 5yrs.
    Started as an assistant to allow my eldest to jump the waiting list.
    Took over running the colony a few years ago.
    Some get off on the politics side of it but I can’t be arsed with all that.
    I run my colony with the help of some like minded individuals & we are a very active colony, & the kids are out building dens etc, whenever we can. The feedback we get is that the kids love it. Beavers can be the domain of middle aged women, & some colonies rarely venture outside, let alone do anything adventurous. Back in January we had them on a night hike, through dark woodland. The kids loved it.
    We did their Cycling badge recently, & they’ve asked that we do a cycling meeting every term.

monkeychild
    Free Member

some colonies rarely venture outside

The woman I spoke to today, is completely for all the outdoors stuff which is what I wanted to hear. I can’t be doing with providing the dull experience I had at cubs.

MoreCashThanDash

OP – a lot of leaders are wary of having their own kids in the group they work with. Can add a bit of extra pressure in the child/parent relationship, allegations of favouritism, the kids feeling they have to perform. Depends very much on the existing relationship. My wife didn’t want our daughter in her unit, I always try to work with a group without my lad directly in it when I help out. You are there to help the group, not spend time with your own kids.

I’ve also seen cases where it hasn’t made a difference though. And having a parent involved helps the child see the time and effort involved in organising activities and camps, and hopefully encourages them to go through life go wanting to help others and make a difference.

You also need an understanding partner. I’ve avoided full on weekly unit commitments as my wife is a Guide leader, and we’d struggle to fit me doing the same in with other family commitments and activities.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any scout leaders on here?’ is closed to new replies.