Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Saris Bones users here?
  • legend
    Free Member

Picked up one of these recently, today was it’s first outing. With 1 bike on everything seems fine, but with 2 on the top foot was lifting off the rear windscreen everytime I hit a bump, and was lifted off the screen when speeds got to around 70mph.

Can’t find any info that makes it look like my setup is wrong, anyone got any thoughts? It was dusk when I took the photos, so I’ve had to brighten them up but you get the idea.

slackboy

I’d spread it a bit wider so the bottom feet are on the bumper rather than the boot lid

zigzag69
    Free Member

Is there only 1 upper leg on the rear window – shouldn’t there be two? Or is this just the angle of the photos?

I don’t think your rear spoiler is doing you any favours, ideally you want the feet as close as possible to where you’re anchoring the straps.

crapjumper
    Free Member

I had a bones 3 with an older ford focus and used to have it exactly like that but with the bottom feet sitting on the bumper and the straps really tight . Never had a single issue that way

legend
    Free Member

slackboy – Member
    I’d spread it a bit wider so the bottom feet are on the bumper rather than the boot lid

Think that would work? Bumper lip is tiny so can’t have the feet horizontal, the angled section underneath is annoyingly about half the size of the feet too.

zigzag69 – Member
    Is there only 1 upper leg on the rear window – shouldn’t there be two? Or is this just the angle of the photos?

2 leg for the 3-bike rack, 1 for the 2-bike version.

The spoiler is indeed an issue, putting the straps through the spoiler pretty much gets them going at the same angle as a normal Fiesta though. You think the top foot should come down a bit?

br
    Free Member

Without a lighting/number plate board you could get pulled.

Also as others have said, maybe change the leg position on the alloy ‘pipe’ – top ones at the widest?

zigzag69
    Free Member

Didn’t realise the 2 bike bones only had one upper foot. In that case, is it worth trying to move the upper straps out as wide as possible then?

Is that upper leg is almost touching your high brake light? Don’t want to crack the lens, so you probably do want to try and move it down a smidge, but I’d be trying to keep the top leg as high as possible. Keep the weight of the bikes as close the car as you can.

Also wondering if the spoiler is stopping you from getting the top straps as tight as possible?

legend
    Free Member

It could be the spoiler causing the issue, but the whole strap does seem tight. Not sure about moving the straps outwards and they are pulling the rack straight against the car right now which should be stop on.

I’ll try mounting the bottom legs lower, but the lack of anything horizontal to support the feet might make that a no-go 😕

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Saris Bones users here?’ is closed to new replies.