Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Any runners on here, why do my legs hurt??
  • roper
    Free Member

That’s interesting you say that to DrDomRob surfer as I see your comments,

“Ignore this and just build slowly on grass and make sure your shoes are reasonably good and have good cushioning…and stretch post run, ice them if they are tender and take anti inflammatories if you can..

can be very damaging. Also suggesting the Op follows training like “top distance runners” when he is only a few weeks in to running is hardly helpful, especially as the query was about an injury.

Whenever a question regarding running is posted on STW you do have a habit of saying all other advice is crap except yours, as you know best, but at the same time suggest unreasonable and at times old-fashioned suggestions.
    I certainly hope you are still not coaching.

Kuco

I did read that some trainers are getting to cushioned and causing problems? Whats the collective thoughts about that? iirc it might of been in Runners world 😳 But I was reading it in Tesco while browsing the mags 😀

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Surfer as roper says suggesting someone who at best is returning from 8 year
    s off trains like an olympic athlete is daft. until you are willing to look at the evidence i have nothing more to say to you.

Adam_85
    Free Member

My shins hurt so bad when I run, they just feel so tight and I also get little lumps on both shins like blood vessels or tendons. Nasty, I tried lots of stretching and some new trainers but i’ve decided to give up for now!

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer as roper says suggesting someone who at best is returning from 8 year
    s off trains like an olympic athlete is daft. until you are willing to look at the evidence i have nothing more to say to you

Bit of a reading fail. I didnt recommend any training other than the final part of my original post, certainly not advocating hard training. Can you point to where I did?
    I responded to another post about the number of interval sessions top athletes complete and the regularity not that the op should be doing interval sessions at all.
    Roper if you have anything to add to the op then go ahead, stalking me doesnt contribute much.

surfer
    Free Member

I certainly hope you are still not coaching.

When did I ever coach? or are you making this up as you go along Roper?

surfer
    Free Member

Whenever a question regarding running is posted on STW you do have a habit of saying all other advice is crap except yours, as you know best, but at the same time suggest unreasonable and at times old-fashioned suggestions.

I didnt say it was all crap but that pretty much summarises my position with regard to barefoot running. As a student of running I am more than interested in entering a debate about running as it is a passion of mine. To such an extent I want the op to be running pain free etc rather than using him as a test case for evangelist like yourself.

roper
    Free Member

When did I ever coach? or are you making this up as you go along Roper?

When you asked what deep_river’s experience was he said amongst other things,”UKA level 2 coach” he also asked you what your experience was/is and you said “experience is similar to yours”. Giving the impression you have been involved in coaching, don’t you think? Especially as you were so vague with details.

I understand you want the OP to be running pain free, I’d imagine most of the other posters you dismissed also want the same, which is why they have given a good selection advice. However your own advice was not the best and could cause the OP more problems.

….rather than using him as a test case for evangelist like yourself.

What have I been evangelising about in this thread? Are you making it up as you go along?

djglover
    Free Member

One of you lot dropped this

lookmanohands
    Free Member

+1 for giving the barefoot a go. Hey what have you got to loose? Somemore reading for you, the barefoot book – kindof explains about footware and why you don’t really need it etc. Enjoy 🙂

Cougar

Hey what have you got to loose?

Skin?

surfer
    Free Member

Especially as you were so vague with details.

Not my intention to be vague I’m just someone who has run at club level for around 20 + years I have no coaching qualifications or background at all. Not that that disqualifies me from having an opinion.
    You seem more concerned with things I have said on other threads and your claim

Also suggesting the Op follows training like “top distance runners” when he is only a few weeks in to running is hardly helpful, especially as the query was about an injury.

which I didnt make.

renton
    Free Member

Hello everyone and thanks for the replies so far, quite a lot to read through.

Anyway , basically as im down the falklands with the RAF at the moment i thought i would get fit and drop some weight, the gym is excellent and the treadmills are brilliant.

Its too windy/raining/snowing outside and the ground is quite rocky/rough which is why im sticking to the tredmill.

about 2002time i had an operation on both of my lower legs for compartment syndrome(fasciotomies) as i was getting major pain in my legs due to marching about etc in my boots.

since the op ive moved camps a fair bit and as such never really had good advice from any one particular physio which has eneded up with me not being able to run properly for years.

initally i thought the op hadnt worked as i was still getting pain in my lower legs, but it seesm this was down to me being a fatty (i was 19 stone)

since ive been down here ive slowly progressed in the last 11 weeks from running for 10 mins upto now being able to do 5k runs in 33 mins(not great but its a start)i run/jog at between 9kph and 10.5 kph

the interval training i do is not fast at all it goes like this …2 ins at 10kph, 2mins at 8kph, 2mins at 10.2 kph etc etc upto 2 mins at 12kph.

im also doing a lot of non impact cardio to for example swimming, cross trainer and bike.

im also doing a good strecth routine for my legs too.

the pain im getting is literally right below my knee at the top of the bone at the front of my leg,it doesnt feel like bone pain though? i get it more on my right leg than the left.

my left calf always cramps when im running and ive noticed that if i look down at my feet when they strike the floor my left foot splays out more than the right??

any ideas??

cheers

steve

ahwiles
    Free Member

holy tits! after only a few weeks training you can run 5k in 33mins, and you weigh 17 stone?

i stand by my earlier suggestion that you could try slowing down a bit…

it’s possible that your lower legs are the ‘weak link’ in your running fitness, and as such it will be up to them how quickly you progress.

right now they’re telling to take it easy, and the numbers agree with them (17stone, 4 weeks training, 5k, 33mins)

(+ there’s a weird phenomenon whereby running at Xkph on a treadmill is harder than Xkph out in the real world, i nearly die after a few minutes at 13kph on a treadmill, but a 45min 10k outside is pretty easy)

renton
    Free Member

i thought that was a bit slow to be fair!!!

oh and im 16 stone 11 now :mrgreen:

nickc

The iliotibial band is a fibrous band of tissue that runs down the outer thigh, from the hip (ilium) to just below the knee, inserting into the shinbone (tibia). It helps provide stability to the outer side of the knee joint, particularly during running. Iliotibial band syndrome is irritation / inflammation of the iliotibial band (the inflammation is usually not visible) that causes lateral knee pain. This condition is most common in long-distance runners and cyclists. Though the pain usually occurs on the outer side of the knee just above the knee joint, it may also occur over the entire iliotibial band or just below the knee, where the iliotibial band inserts into the shinbone (tibia). The pain usually sets in slowly, often after running for several minutes. It is relieved by resting and aggravated by activity – running, cycling, or walking.

depite what others have suggested, I still think it’s ITBS, but hey, I’m no coach, and I don’t run barefoot, and I have no coaching quals or whatever, so you know… feel free to ignore all this.

Oh, and slow up a bit on the treadmill. In fact, stop timing yourself all together, just do nice steady runs, lope along, y’know? there’s plenty of time for PB’s and clock chasing, just take it easy.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’ve only flicked through the thread, but have in the past had similar problems to you.

My opinion is in line with several others here, that you are trying to run too fast. Run slower for longer until you have got a good few hundred miles under your belt, then see how upping the speed goes.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I agree with what the previous two guys said. Slow down! Go for a time period rather than distance. I would stop the interval training until you are pain free. I still think going natural a the same time might help in the long run, but only if you listen to your body when it says its time to slow down or stop.

I’ve been runing with a guy from the office who.is fit but new to running for the last few months on and off,we’ve only just got the pace down to 30min 5km’s. I’ve been judging the pace by talking to him during the runs if he can’t run and talk we’fe going to fast.

It’s kept him injury free and he is still motivated to do it,although he also doesn’t believe in th bare foot philosophy – but i think that’s more to do with the cost! The vibram stuff is stupi expensive,i am sure there are other alternatives but can’t point you in an direction i’m afraid. What do you run in now? If its th good old silvershadows then you’re pretty much running barefoot anyway.

HTTP404
    Free Member

45min 10k outside is pretty easy

that’s a pace of a sub 7 minute mile (over 6.5 miles) which is not all that easy.

nickc

[shrugs/] It be pee’d off if any of my 10k runs were over 45mins.

djglover
    Free Member

You are Surf Mat and I claim my £5

renton
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies.

i still think that at 9kph im barley breaking out of a jog .!!

you should see some of the army lads running they are running at speeds of 13- 14 kph !!

cheers

steve

theteaboy
    Free Member

When you’re running, the force going through your landing leg is up to three times your bodyweight. It takes your legs a bit of time to get used to this, hence people saying ‘start slowly’.

There are mixed opinions in the scientific literature about technique, shoes and where on your foot to land and it gets very polarised and squabbly, just like this thread!

Be sensible and listen to your legs. If it hurts, slow down. If it still hurts, stop for a while, start slower and build up steadily.

Oh, and even when it’s rocky, cold and windy, it’s beautiful outside. Go and get stuck in!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Any runners on here, why do my legs hurt??’ is closed to new replies.