Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Any rugged cheap sports watch recommendations
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

After another night getting in late because playing out on bike the missus says I need a watch to wear out riding.

Anything reasonably cheap and vaguely waterproof sports watches to look out for (or avoid)?

nickjb
    Free Member

G Shock. About as cheap and rugged as watches get.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah the £50 gshocks are excellent, had mine 5 years and its still faultless

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

G Shock + 3

Got three and all are great.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Harry – I've got one very similar to that – a GS1100 solar atomic.

And a fully digi one.

And an ana digi one (that I never use – anyone want it?!)

tron
    Free Member

Any casio. Any digital watch. They really take some breaking.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have broken 2 G shocks my current Swatch is lasting much better.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My digi G Shock has lasted me 12 years and still works as well as the day I got it. It's been in crashes (car and bike), been dropped countless times, been "surfing" in big waves, done pneumatic drilling, kangoing and all sorts.

I therefore trust them and cannot see how a Swatch could outlast one.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Tesco do a £15 compass watch.

Or the Iron Man compass watch for £30 looks pretty good.

Failing that how about a cycle computer that has the time on it?

Pigface
    Free Member

My G Shock is pig ugly but tells the time which is what you want from a watch, it has to 12 years old how long is the battery meant to last?

Aidan
    Free Member

I use one of these Casio ones. £15 and it's done me well so far:

link

roper
    Free Member

My G-shock also broke. First the light, then the multi-functions, then the strap kept breaking.
    I replaced it with a MWC military type of thing and while it has got a little scratched it keeps perfect time and has radium dials so easy to read in the dark.So far it has fared much better than the G

billybob
    Free Member

How about one of these? Cheap, light don't even know you are wearing it!

Edric64
    Free Member

You need a limp wrist to wear that one!

grtdkad

Have had two G-Shocks over the last 10-12 yrs – absolutely bombproof IMO

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

G shock from this bloke
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/watchesdeals

woffle
    Free Member

I'd recommend G-Shocks too – I had a pro-trek version for a few years, that was a pretty much bombproof watch. Not really cheap though. I'd also be a bit careful about ebay – there are a LOT of fakes knocking about.

If you wanted something more aesthetically pleasing (to my eye, at least) I've got a 1980's vintage Seiko diver for sale in the classifieds…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Steve – bought one of mine from them – they are very good!

Leku
    Free Member

just waiting for this to arrive in the post…

mmm titanium body…

RustyNissanPrairie

+1 for MWC, G10, black PVD body, date, glass face, NATO strap. Also CWC G10's as issued to UK MOD are as good allthough plastic face.
    Casio are overated, straps break, buttons fail, exterior parts snap off.

BillMC

Check out the 'dreamitemshop' on ebay. I recently bought a waterproof militaty watch from them and it cost me US$12 INCLUDING POSTAGE.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Being someone who has a habit of leaving watches places and breaking them, I've always bought the cheapest watches. Of these, I find very cheap Casio or similar to be the most resilient. I've had more expensive chunky sports watches (Timex one, a Casio one), and whilst they may resist more bashing, they get bashed way more, so die easier.

Last watch was a £5 one from argos, which I unfortunately left at the bottom of a whitewater river (was filming video whilst swimming and had the strap caught up in the camera strap – one hectic bit of rapids later, I had no watch). I replaced it with a very similar one from Walmart.

Get one that is '50m waterproof' so you can wear it in the rain (or forget and wear it in the shower) – splashproof ones die.

You can get a fancy £500 mechanical watch, but it won't tell the time as well, and when you drop it in a river, it is £500 down the drain, rather than a fiver.

Joe

richmars

Leku,
    That's a great looking watch, I've got a titanium Seiko that's similar but I could do with another. Are you getting yours from the UK? I've had a quick google but can't find any UK suppliers.

Leku
    Free Member

From the US. No UK suppliers.

Discount code 'chat10' for $10 off.

Bertucci A-2T Men's Vintage Watch – Black Titanium – Black Nylon Strap – Black Vintage Dial – 12027

richmars

Thanks, just when I coundn't really afford it!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Animal. £50, seems indestructible. Lots of options and colours to choose from

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I want to, and do, like my G-Shock but find them a right PITA when you need to change the time like altering the clocks in spring autumn and when I go on holiday and have to change the time, usually takes me a while to figure out which buttons to press as there are a lot of functions and options, more annoyingly is I have the one with the analogue hands too and they will only go forwards … so if you want something more tradional this looks quite good vfm?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-sekonda-chronograph-watch-3902-p99927464.html

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Any rugged cheap sports watch recommendations’ is closed to new replies.