Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any roofers in?
  • edsbike
    Free Member

Just after a rough guideline for price to replace a felt roof. I’ve had quotes ranging from £5k to £8k. It’s a block of 10x single garages, in one line, so approx. 140sq m.

About 20% of the underlying timber is wet and rotten so would need replacing as well.

All the quotes are for standard felt and tar, are there any more modern options that I should be looking at and do they differ in price?

Thanks

edsbike
    Free Member

bump

bruneep

Fibreglass roof

or

single membrane roof.

As with everything its only as good as the person(s) who are installing it. Get a company from recommendations not just pot luck out of yellow pages or from internet.

Is it a flat roof? It it is and its getting stripped back take the opportunity to add a bit of fall to assist the water run off. No point in recovering if the water ponds on the roof.

molgrips
    Free Member

Keeping an eye on this thread, sounds like our roof is going to be blown off.

chickenman

I’ve heard £100/sq m as a guide for roof renewal where ply/chipboard needs replacing too. Rephanol or similar would cost the earth!

properbikeco
    Free Member

Why not go metal roof, as in plastic dipped galv sheet?

tartanscarf

I’m not a roofer but we replaced a felt roof on one of our buildings at the business here ourselves. It was easy enough to strip back, we had to replace some timber too, then we used this stuff . The company were really good at talking through what we needed and with some extra muscle from my father in law we had it finished in a few days. I’m sure you could get something similar fitted by a pro if you wanted, we’re really happy with it. We chose metal because it should outlast felt, be less maintenance and was easier to fit ourselves.

TS

edsbike
    Free Member

Although it looks to only have a drop of a few inches, It’s lasted 25 years so doing pretty well. Under the felt is piranha pine, I think if it had chip or ply it would have collapsed well before now.

I’ve looked at a few ‘hard’ roofing materials, and, other than being able to fit myself, it doesn’t seem that much cheaper. Are there any advantages other than potential lifespan? Tartanscarf, was yours a flat roof and did you just screw the rigid panels directly on top and then finish the ends off nicely?

Fibreglass and single membrane, are these much better/dearer than felt?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Seems like my £8k quote isn’t ridiculous (gulp). Glad I’m only liable for a tenth of that!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any roofers in?’ is closed to new replies.