Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any rockshox monarch rt3 experts?
  • damascus
    Free Member

Just changed my shock from a fox rp23 to a rock shox monarch rt3 as I got fed up with the pro pedal.

Although I was sceptical about the monarch due to always using a fox and the bad reputation I took the plunge.

I was very impressed. Set at 30% sag to start with. Felt like a hard tail compared to the fox.

Ive got to admit I couldn’t really tell a big difference between the climb, trail and descend mode (rockshox equivalent)

I also found that I bottomed the shock out. i weigh about 13stone with full kit on. Tge shock is a high volume shock.

I’ve been reading about the IFP (internal floating piston) and I have an adapter.

From my limited understanding it separates the air from the oil. Its recommended this should be set at 250 psi.

What affect does more or less psi have?

My aim is to have a shock that sags around 20%
    Its a stable platform and doesn’t bob about on the climbs
    It goes through its travel but doesn’t bottom out
    I can feel a marked difference between the 3 settings.

Any help or guidance other than buy a difference brand shock most welcomed. 🙂

Thanks

sssimon
    Free Member

what frame?

climbingkev
    Free Member

Apparently lots came with the IFP under pressurised. Upped mine to 225, made a massive difference. I’m 12 stone plus clothing/kit, used to blow through the travel at 30%. No such problems now. Seems to have made the 3 lockout modes more defined too. HTH

Kev

damascus
    Free Member

Hi. Its a salsa horsethief XL frame.

I will attach my shock pump and see what the ifp is set at.

Thanks

lornholio
    Free Member

Take up some volume under the high volume sleeve with some rubber bands or a cut up inner tube. This will make the shock ramp up more as it goes through its travel so you won’t bottom out as easily while at the same pressure.

Very easy to try, adjust, retry. Take the shock off your frame (or just the stanchion end), take all the air out, pop the o-ring off the HV sleeve, slide the sleeve off, add volume reducers, reinstall everything, ride.

IFP adjustments sound like you can eally fine tune things but are much more work and you need the valve adapter.

LoCo
    Free Member

Wouldn’t mess about with the IFP pressure tbh, likely to cause your self issues.
    Adjustment of air volume may solve problem. If not a rebuild and retune of the shim stacks is the way to go about it to get it working properly.

damascus
    Free Member

Thanks loco.

Why would adding or taking out air from the ISP create problems? Is there a chance the oil could leak and contaminate?

What’s the worst that could happen? Lol

Has anyone experienced any issues after altering it?

Also why can’t I feel a marked difference in the 3 settings? Is this just how there are?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Interestingly i have just checked the IPF pressure on my mega using the online adapter (low) and its made a mahoosive difference to the feel of the shock, thanks for the advice above it inspired me to check it in the first place.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any rockshox monarch rt3 experts?’ is closed to new replies.