Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any road experts in? ('What road bike?' content)
  • PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Ok, so it’s that time of year and I’m thinking of getting a roadie so I can supplement my winter riding.

I’ve had a play/sit on/sized up with a few in the local shops and the only thing that has really stood out to me is that I really like the SRAM shifters/group etc. (double tap is genius). I’m not really fussed about frame material/weight as it’s solely going to be a training bike.

So my question is, what is the cheapest roadie I can get with a SRAM group?

I’m not really sure where to start looking so any help is appreciated 🙂

Cheers

RealMan
    Free Member

First, how cheap is cheap?

Have a play.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pu/road-track-bike/bike-builder/bikebuilder/1

Also look at boardman, I think some of them come with SRAM. Also planet x, and Canyon.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Cheers, RealMan. I had been looking at the Planet X ones (seem like amazing value), and the Specialized Secteur, so around the £1k mark is doable. But the less I can spend the better really.

RealMan
    Free Member

Well at around that price, unless you’re getting a brilliant deal on something from last year, I’d always stick to the big 4, canyon, ribble, planet x, boardman. You just get a much better bike for the money, IMO.

I don’t have much experience of SRAM, so in typical STW fashion, I’m not a fan (fear of the unknown). I’m a Shimano man, so can’t offer much advice on the different SRAM groupsets, but I reckon you could still get a reasonable bike for £700ish with a SRAM groupset that works well.

Got any idea about what size you’re after either? Or have you thought about going 2nd hand? I’ve seen quite a few bargains on the FS section on road bikes.

Also, as you’re on a budget and not really bothered, try to stick to aluminium, you’ll save yourself a wad, and a decent aluminium frame will quite often be better then a lower end carbon one.

thomthumb
    Free Member

boardman comp at £800

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Secondhand?

Road bikes depreciate as quickly as MTB’s, but suffer from less abuse/wear.

njee20
    Free Member

always stick to the big 4, canyon, ribble, planet x, boardman

Are they not the cheap 4, rather than the big 4?!

I’d look at Boardman and Ribble, as above avoiding carbon, to save money.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Cheers all. Given me some food for thought. The ‘cheap 4’ should be able to provide something ideal for me.

Definitely thought about 2nd hand, but not knowing very much about road bikes doesn’t help. I do know I am looking for around 52cm seat tube and 57ish top tube, so I will be keeping my eyes open.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any road experts in? ('What road bike?' content)’ is closed to new replies.