Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any road bike tyre bargains out there?
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Looking to replace the stock (puncture prone) tyres on my Defy.

Not wanting to spend a lot so any bargains anyone knows of? Would like 28mm.

globalti
    Free Member

Look on Ribble, Wiggle, CRC, High on Bikes.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Already had a look at those but nothing stands out. Just wondering if anyone had seen a bargain recently. Not really sure what I’m buying to be honest as have limited knowledge of road bikes, but the current tyres are a bit shit.

stevious

Depends how much you want to spend, but £30 an end for conti GP 4000s at wiggle looks good to me.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-folding-road-tyre/

stumpy01

Do you have an LBS near you?

My local shop has a bucket of tyres and everything in it is a tenner.

There’s pairs of tyres bundle up that must be standard tyres that come with road bikes which people want to immediately change, as well as old stock that they just want rid of.

I got a £50 Michelin Endurance Pro something or other for £10…

Might be worth giving your local shop a ring?

lunge

The twinpack deals at Ribble are generally good value, Veloflex Masters for under £50 a pair is a bargain, or the Vredestein’s for something a little more resilient.

davidjey
    Free Member

Depending on how you define “not a lot”: Vittoria Zaffiro Pros are about £25 a pair and did me just fine for a year of cycle path commuting. Teeny bit of tread on them rather than a full slick.

Just bought some Schwalbe Duranos: the Raceguard ones which I assume means a bit more puncture protection…£38 for the pair. Definitely faster and more supple than the above, although I have had a p*nct*re already in a couple of weeks use – hopefully just a fluke!

rOcKeTdOg

conti Ultra Sport II 700 x 28C Black £19.95 fitted at your friendly LBS

TiRed

Define bargain – For your Giant, I’d go Schwalbe G One Speed Tubeless – £45 each from Bike24.de and 30c width. they are superb. Nice tyres make the single biggest improvement to a bike.

Vittoria Paves in 25c are often available at £25 each, these ride beautifully but wear relatively quickly. Continental GP 4 Seasons can be found online for £30 each and available in 28c.

Conti Ultra Sport are the work of the Devil – most puncture prone tyre I’ve ever ridden. 👿

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Not really wanting to spend £30+ a tyre to be honest. Would some £12 Vittoria’s as mentioned above be much of an ‘upgrade’ to the stock tyres on my Defy?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Not really wanting to spend £30+ a tyre to be honest. Would some £12 Vittoria’s as mentioned above be much of an ‘upgrade’ to the stock tyres on my Defy?

A) Depending on which Defy you buy, it could have had about 4 different tyres on it – since you didn’t tell us which you have, our crystal balls are going to have a hard time telling what is more puncture proof or not.
    B) Whatever you have, £12 tyres are likely to be as bad or worse in one or more ways.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

It’s a Defy 3 2013, came with Giant branded 25mm tyres.

Vittoria tyres for £12 have a rrp of £20 so I can only assume they will be a better tyre than stock Giant ones?

haston
    Free Member

Michelin Lithion 2 tires are always pretty cheap. Really good puncture resistance and roll pretty well. I tried them out because my go to Conti 4 seasons are pretty expensive, the Michelin are 95% as good and a lot cheaper.

Don’t think they do a 28, but they are a bit of a balloon tire. the 25 comes up about the same size as a Conti 4 season in 28.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Lithions get rave reviews for the price. The posh Michelin Pro 4s are excellent and usually available half price.

Schwalbe G One tubeless are ‘cheap’ at Mantel – box set with 2 tyres and sealant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any road bike tyre bargains out there?’ is closed to new replies.