Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any riding on the IOW???
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

I’m going over there for a wedding in May and wondered if it was worth taking my bike and staying for a day afterwards?

Any info, links, opinions much appreciated.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there are some lovely bridle ways. you can do an entire lap of the island almost entirley off road. none of it is particually tecnical but it is quite hilly (in a southern up down up down way)

some routes here

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-east/the-isle-of-wight/

acjim
    Free Member

Some nice stuff around St Catherines Pt and the SE corner – bit sloppy in if it’s been wet though!

Burchy1
    Free Member

cheers guys

didnt think to check the trail map, that may be a possibilty

Shinythings
    Free Member

Dangerous Dave,
    There’s loads of good Bridleways, done a few myself.
    One of my best mates lives over there and I could give him a shout for a bit of guiding if you like. Might not be ‘core’ enough for you , but he’ll certainly know a good loop or two.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Plenty of good riding over here. Was out on monday and i swear there was dust on the bike afterwards!
    I can get some peeps together for a ride if you’re interested. Drop me a mail if you fancy meeting up.
    Im in Ryde btw

vd

Take a look at http://www.extremists.co.uk.

Never met any of them, but their 50 mile off roader is very good. Rode a few times last spring. Bogs in places after rain and omits a great bit of singletrack off Tennyson Trail. From point 23 on their map go 75-80% toward point 24 and look for an entrance on the left to take you snakey-rooty style down to Calbourne Bottom. It’s quite well hidden and beware blockages – I think the locals like to keep it to themselves.

It is mainly off-road and will take a full day.

Yep vd, we did that bit of ST a few weeks ago. Watch the roots if wet – teflon coated.

If you join the Yahoo group from extremists.co.uk. there’s a full map!

vd

Dave – The singletrack through the bluebell woods near the airport and the rock garden track into Niton were also top banana! Highlight of that day, however, was some trackside stoat on starling action between Calbourne and Freshwater.

Whilst we are on the subject of IOW and your 50 miler, it passes the foot of Gat Cliff (the inland facing one) I believe? There looked to be a fantastic cheeky path dropping off the cliff. Doable?

Fancy another IOW sometime soon

Nice route innit! We do have a problem with a vicious breed of IOW starling decimating the stoat population as you saw.

We’ve looked at the Gat Cliff (I assume you mean the ultimate stepped path). Never had the bottle yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any riding on the IOW???’ is closed to new replies.