Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any Riding near Southampton?
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Maybe spending a few days in Southampton next week, is there any good riding to be had down there?

bobbyspangles

queen elizabeth park has some s/track and cheeky stuff if you look around. i went there blind recently and had fun.

cinnamon_girl

Lordswood?

DT78
    Free Member

Plenty if you know where to look, nothing too extreme though. Can show you round LW one evening if you like good for a couple of hours (depending on how fast you ride). Prob not tues./weds as I've got a wrist arthogram and likely to be off the bike 48hrs.

New Forest is good for getting the miles in/feel good look at fowls etc…

sheldona
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer DT I don't know when I'll be down just yet as the customers aren't answering their phone!

vd

Our group have a Tuesday evening ride taking in Lordswood. You would be welcome to join

juan
    Free Member

lordswood. Plenty of people on here that are from soton. You can get in touch with either WCA or the SUMBC for more info.

poppa
    Free Member

Lordswood is 'in' Southampton, albeit near the boundary. Smallish FC owned/managed land with trails made by the locals including twisty singletrack and mini-wini DH track type bits. Used to have a jumpy/pumpy bit till it was demolished for littering.

Well, it was like that the last time I was there. A local guide is strongly advised, otherwise it will be difficult to string a loop together and you will get lost. Can be very fun, and there were definitely bits I was too scaredy to do.

Occasional reports of trouble from the local scallywags. Probably best not to go riding alone in the evening, I never had trouble but I always went early if alone.

New Forest is mostly fireroads. Lots of bridleway type riding from Winchester. QECP is the only trail centre remotely near, but is still at least 30mins (45?) away by car.

DT78
    Free Member

I have heard of the rumours of trouble at LW, but in the 5 years I've ridden there 2-3 times a week the worst I've had is a ticking off from an irate granny calling me 'disgusting' for the damage my 'type' were doing to the forest.

Occassionally you get lads on motocross down there and have to be a bit careful if you ride with music as they don't hang about.

I spent all winter riding there trying to build the perfect loop, takes 1.5hrs flatout, 2 – 3 when riding with mates. I think it only takes in about 50% of the trails I know there.

Drop me a line, I'm down there pretty often and mostly on my own so happy for the company!

Normally tear around on a black duster (or occassionally old brown DMR or shiny new blue mmmbop)

North of the new forest is much better, set off from Fritham plenty of non fireroad riding there.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

getting the ferry to the isle of wight is good for a big day out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any Riding near Southampton?’ is closed to new replies.