Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any retro bike experts out there? Seen this on Ebay…
  • S_J
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YETI-ULTIMATE-/250684117665?pt=UK_Bikes_GL

Can anyone comment on whether £1,400 is sensible for this? I know old Yeti's do attract serious money, but not sure about this one.

Would also like to see more than one poor quality photo before parting with that sort of cash!

shortcut

If you want it. Make the effort to go and have a look then flash cash infront of his nose if you like it!

As to the spec it does seem good and would have cost a packet back in the day. As to current value – No idea I am afraid. £1400 seems like quite a lot of money for a bike you really won't ride more than about once a year. And I don't believe the e_stay design is that stiff or indeed nice to ride.

Personally I would rather have a nice old Klein Attitude fully rigid in green, pink and white! If there are any still out there and I had the money to spend.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

and those vuelta wheels are sh1t and not retro….

john_l
    Free Member

His purchase history doesn't exactly match someone who has a passion for retro bikes, nor does the item description.

I'd personally be wary.

jonathan
    Free Member

Sadly I tend to assume that if the seller can't spell any of the component names or brands correctly then then chances of the bike being legit are pretty slim.

Obviously I do realise how bad/prejudiced that sounds 😉

S_J
    Free Member

"his purchase history doesn't exactly match someone who has a passion for retro bikes, nor does the item description."

That's exactly what I thought! Something doesn't seem right..

woodsman
    Free Member

Seems a lot, I would say his starting bid is a bit more realistic.

tangent
    Free Member

I would go and inspect it in person…especially as the seller does not seem to be a retro expert himself when it comes to the description.

Key things with frames of this age is looking out for rust and frame damage. Most folk tend to buy just the frame and build them up from there.
    Remember the steerer tube is headset size is likely to be 1 1/4" (evolution) oversize, which is quite rare.

I'd reccommend checking out http://www.retrobike.co.uk if you have not already.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

He's asking a price for the bike that (if it is really his) reflects his riding & memories, not the actual value of such an old bike.

pabsw1982
    Free Member

I would say beware of retro bikes because of rust. that said damage to cromo frames is fairly easy to spot. the only thing would then be alignment – that's harder to measure obviously but even if the dropouts had been bent you can bend them back a little bit, unlike aluminium which would snap. the other thing is if you are gonna ride it then bits will be a problem. I did have an old klein bike once and I found compatability with new parts a little problem.

It is a defining bike though with its handmade frame. can you get to see it?

lobectomy above me is right – the price is seems to be a sentimental value. if you share this for yeti's then it's a personal thing.

there are a couple of newer klein attitudes on ebay – I'd be wary of buying an aluminium framed bike which is too old.

speaker2animals

Can you get to view it? He reckons that he has spent a lot rebuilding in. I suppose it depends on how much a person is used to spending on bikes. As stated the wheels are pretty low range items.

True Retrobikes aren't prone to the same 2nd pricing as other used bikes. They should be considered as classics. If I'm not mistaken a frame like this (wasn't this actually the F.R.O. frame but that's from memory) would have been about £1k if not more in the early 90's which would put it up around £2K-£3K today? Plus a couple of hundred (1990's £s) for the Crank Bros Cranks. Personally I wouldn't buy it for £1400, unless I was really minted, REALLY wanted it and even then I'd be looking to offer around his starting bid.

From memory though it does look like a genuine frame from the poor photos in the ad.

pabsw1982
    Free Member

yes it does – here is a good link

http://www.mombat.org/1991_Yeti_Ultimate.htm

BluePalomino
    Free Member

from the abay listing ; "…i took the frame to fernland engineering in liverpool they repair plant machinery on the docks were i work they done some work on the drop off…"
    what's that mean?

jimthesaint

Hmmm, his advert does look a bit fishy.

Even if it is legit though there are some worrying things to consider. The rear light and modern drive-train imply that it's had a hard life that has worn out the original equipment and may have been used for commuting.

That frame was not designed for V-brakes. V-brakes put a hell'uva lot more stress through seat-stays than normal cantis. Considering a lot of high-end early 90's alu frames snapped due to being built light for racing, I'd be very apprehensive about one that has been using v-brakes.

speaker2animals

I thought the Ultimate was Cr-Mo not aluminium so no worries about what Jim the saint said/ And to be honest I converted my Cannondale HT from cantis to V brakes in 1995 and they had done no harm when I scrapped the frame in 2007.

Think I'd give it a miss considering the comment about an engineering works having done work on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any retro bike experts out there? Seen this on Ebay…’ is closed to new replies.