Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any Renault traffic owners??
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m looking at buying a 2006 Renault traffic (mini bus version) swb 100bhp dci. For bike carrying duties.
    It’s done 102000 miles with fsh. Not been abused, apparently. 2 owners. For £3700.
    Trying to gauge is this good or not, I will check through all paperwork for history, can belt etc.
    Reading online seems to be mixed.
    Any of you guys run a van like this??
    Thanks

scotroutes

I have a 2009. Love it. It’s the van, so restricted to 50 on single carriageways – you’ll avoid that with the minibus version. 40+mpg on a decent run, drives well. A wee bit basic inside compared to more modern stuff.

The earlier versions suffered from clutch problems and could also end up with welded-in injectors (water running off the scuttle direct on to the injectors) . Trying to remove these can actually damage the engine.

swavis

I have a 2010 LWB minibus with the rear row of seats removed and it’s brilliant! As scotroutes said earlier ones had problems with the injectors but I think that was sorted by 06, I’d double check that though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    schmiken

I’ve got an 08 Vivaro crewcab (basically the same thing). Great van, comfy to drive, reasonably economical. Love it. Check the service history to see if the injectors have been done, otherwise factor the cost of that in. You may be lucky and get it done for free (I did by quoting BBC Watchdog).

Would gladly have another (but next time I’d buy a LWB).

project
    Free Member

Renault traffic has indicator lamps above the bumper, vauxhall are in the bumper, nerd fact.

nice to drive, plasticy inside, injectors seize in,nissan primastar is same van as well.

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.
    This is a March 2006 so last of that model.
    1.9 Dci 100bhp
    With 3rd row out may still need to take out front wheel.
    Does this still have the injector problem?
    People say new clutch possibly gearbox at 100k!??

lerk
    Free Member

project – Member
    Renault traffic has indicator lamps above the bumper, vauxhall are in the bumper, nerd fact.

Not so much a nerd fact as a made up one…
    Pre 2007(?) ones are in the bumper whether made sold by Renault, Vauxhall or Nissan.

codybrennan
    Free Member

As above, have a 2010 2.0DCi. 135k miles. No problems.

Yours is the 1.9? Generally all good. You’ll see loads of problems reported, but thats because:
    a)there are countless numbers of them on the roads
    b)people only report faults, not success stories.

I would try and get the price down a bit though- £3250 to me seems more realistic.

quintet100
    Free Member

£3250 will be a no go I’m afraid.
    It took a lot of haggling to get to £3700 🙂 subject to test drive.
    I’m hoping that the cam belt has been changed.
    1st owned by a school with regular services.
    I forgot to say, my current bike carrier is a merc c220 CDI Avantgarde with Thule bike carriers.
    Great car but always fancied a van.

chakaping
    Free Member

Electric windows and air con?

Potdog
    Free Member

I have a 1.9 on a 2003 plate. Just clocked 400,000km. One bike will go diagonally with back row of seats folded. Can get 6 bikes in with front wheel out with back seat folded or 8 with back seat out. Serving me very well!

stevomcd
    Free Member

We had exactly that vehicle and model year in the long wheelbase version.

Overall, really happy with it. Issues we had:

1. It’s not totally underpowered but the gear ratios are a pain in the ar$e. Going up a steep hill fully-loaded, you keep hitting the rev limiter in first gear, but can’t get the turbo to kick-in in second gear. Results in a lot of drive-it-like-you-stole-it action with the clutch…

2. The clutch slave cylinders go at about 120000km (82000 miles) so if it hasn’t already gone, it probably will soon. The cylinder is in the gearbox so changing it is ££££.

3. Timing belt change is at 150000km, so if it hasn’t been done already, it’s slightly over-due. Again, this is ££££.

Overall, pretty happy with it though. Ours was still going strong at about 240000km when it lost an argument with a snow-plough. Alas, poor Vanbert….

We now have a 2010 and it’s loads better. Extra 15bhp and better ratios in the gearbox makes a massive difference.

LWB version will take 6 riders and 6 bikes with one wheel off. SWB probably won’t!

quintet100
    Free Member

Great info.
    Will check through paperwork.
    Electric Windows and a/c yes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any Renault traffic owners??’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts