Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Any Reign riders?
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

hey guys been looking for a 150mm all mountain bike and cant seem to find a better option than a reign for 1500 pound.

ive taken already a look at other bikes but the 2013 looks nice,

1 note to say is im 6ft 6 so i need a XL i guess if its big enough.

any nice pics would also be cool 😉

joeegg
    Free Member

Really underrated bike.Maybe the Giant name just doesn’t have the kudos.

I’ve had a Reign since 2007 and its been great.The multi pivot works really well and the bearings lasted a long time and were easy and cheap to replace.Finish and paintwork were spot on.
    My previous bike was an Orange 5 and the only thing in the 5’s favour was frame weight,but the Reign climbed far better.In every other department the Reign excelled .

If i was in the market for another full suss bike it would definitely be another Giant.

northshoreniall

Have a 2008 Reign X0, amazing bike, climbs really well, drop saddle and more than capable for anything that I’m likely to try. Highly recommend

gasyz
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 Reign,done everything on it from gravity enduro to xc all day epics and uplift days.brilliant bike

thegman67

I have had a Reign x1 since 2009. Heavy bike but climbs well and handles anything I throw at it on the downs

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Have a Reign X0; been to the Alps and lots of homegrown XC / AM / DH

in different guises – great bike and maestro suspension is classic

You definately dont need an XL if youre 6ft,

Im 6ft and have a medium (short legs though 32″)

kudos100
    Free Member

I have a 2009 reign x, built up as a mini DH bike. Amazing frame, I’d struggle to replace it with anything else for the same money.

tomaso
    Free Member

I liked mine but preferred the Pitch I had after it.

06awjudd
    Free Member

I really wanted a reign 🙁
    I ended up buying an Orange five (don’t hate) after a well priced frame came on the market and I couldn’t find a suitable reign, I’ve heard that they are pretty much as good as each other, but the reign is far less popular, which is major plus for me.
    I agree that they don’t seem to have the hype to match the bike, I think it’s because Giant doesn’t have the “wow” factor.
    The only problem I can see other then not being the lightest, is that the bearings wear quickly (apparently).

northshoreniall

Not sure about the bearing comment, mine is an ex demo bike and had since oct 08 and never touched/ serviced bearings as yet. Maybe I’ve been lucky?

06awjudd
    Free Member

Not sure about the bearing comment, mine is an ex demo bike and had since oct 08 and never touched/ serviced bearings as yet. Maybe I’ve been lucky?

I know the older ones had a tendency to collect grit and mud around the bearings, maybe they sorted it for the new ones.

kayak23

My beautiful Reign..

I got it into my head that I should replace it, and I did, with a Nukeproof Mega. There are good and bad points with that decision but I really miss the bike, it was great.
    I think the newer ones have a slacker head angle so they’d be spot on now I reckon.

06awjudd
    Free Member

That is one hell of a nice reign!
    Can’t really go wrong with a mega though (or so I’ve heard)

tomaso
    Free Member

This looks tidy fleabay reign

06awjudd
    Free Member

Complete bargain!

Cheezpleez

Yup, v happy with my 2008 Reign. Swapped the stock Fox 32s for a 160 fork which slackened and stiffened the front and it’s done numerous Alps trips etc. it climbs well and it’s ace downhill. Just a bit sluggish to chase mates on XC bikes or it would get ridden lots more

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

About to sell my Reign X0 frame medium 2007 I think?? too many bikes

theraggyone
    Free Member

I have a 2005 reign and love it although I do have upgradeitus so the only part left stock is the frame and shock although the manitou rear shock will be a fox rp23 by the end of the week lol. Its a really capable bike I use it for everything and although ive set it up mostly for bike parks and going downhill its still really capable on my xc runs.heres some pics

[/img]

]

superlukey
    Free Member

Hi There. I have a 2013 Reign 2, size large. Spent ages looking and after much debate, and the fact that LBS said they were great bikes with awesome warranty back up, I took the plunge. Think I made the right decision. It’s plenty light enough and reckon it could be chucked off just about anything! My advice is to get one. When I get a sec, I’ll post a pic up.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If my 2008 tranceX got pinched, the reign x2 in bad ass bikes would be a walk-in buy for me.

superlukey
    Free Member

timbur
    Free Member

There’s a Giant demo day near Eastbourne on the 24th March if you are local ish. Trance and Antham’s to demo IIRC.

bigyim
    Free Member

here is my 2006 reign, lovely bike going up and downhill. I’m 6,2″ and ride a medium

jambon
    Free Member

The Head angle on the old ones (2005-7 and possibly 2008-11) is waaay to steep for the type of bike the Reign is meant to be – 69.5º. (ReignX much slacker but even heavier) I liked my 2007 Reign but decided to go hard-tail and bought a c456. The reign collected dust until it was stolen. I don’t know the current HA, hopefully much slacker.

The 2005-7 frames weigh about 8.5 Lbs.

Apparently the 20008-10 frames had issues with the lower swing arm snapping.

theraggyone
    Free Member

Although giant state a head angle of 69.5 its rubbish ive measured the head angle on my 2005 reign with a 150mm rev fitted and mine sits at 67 and stood next to my mates 2012 meta am there is hardly any differance at all in fact they feel very similer to ride too the reign is just heavier. With the original manitou nixon fitted the head angle was more like 68 though

chakaping
    Free Member

Current HA is stated at 67.5deg, which is alright.

I’d have one again but would probably want a burlier fork than it comes with at some point.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

There is one in the classifieds now.

thegman67

image by thegman1968, on Flickr

Going down Ben Lomand 29/12/12

kpt1972
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 reign in a large and I’m 6’4 which fits nice, the only weak point I’ve found is the dreaded lower link but luckily I’ve only broken one.
    Real pleasure to ride at all times but it wold be nice to be a bit slacker up front – that’s just a personal choice though.

Tracey

Abigale loves hers, she is on her second after outgrowing her first

bruders338
    Free Member

I love the reign.. all started when i went to my lbs and saw the green reign 2 awesome colour! then went for a ride on one. loved it even more so ordered a reign x 2013 in jan.

thing is now looking like i wont get it until may/June = major let down

looking at other bike now 🙁

superlukey
    Free Member

Better pic of my 2013 reign 2. Have swapped the bars, stem and saddle to my fave ones. Great bike, really happy with it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I looked at a Reign but in the end my riding style changed and I went for a Trance X. I love Giants.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Any Reign riders?’ is closed to new replies.