Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any recommendations for wood burner installation near Edinburgh
  • NewRetroTom

Inspired by the other thread on here we’ve decided to put a wood burner in to our living room where we currently have an open fire. Should make the place quite a bit warmer and reduce our gas bills somewhat.

Has anyone got any recommendations for installers around Edinburgh/Midlothian? We’re in Penicuik.

We need to get the chimney lined too. The chimney sweep advised that it’s a tricky chimney with two right angled bends in it and built from stone rather than brick (built in 1820). For this reason I want to get someone who really knows their stuff.

Also any particular recommendations for what wood burner to get? Don’t want something that looks too utilitarian as it won’t fit in with the look of the room.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Try BONK in Edinburgh.

NewRetroTom

Sister in-law used Bonk and said that the installer they used was impossible to get hold of after they had a problem with their install.

Davesport

I used a bloke called Niel Ogilvie who had a place in Edinburgh called “The Burning Question” I think he may now be working for Bonk.

I can recommend him highly. He was a font of knowledge, worked well with other contractors and assisted us whilst trying to get a stove installed in a new build conservatory.

I don’t know if he’s still in the game.

D.

onehundredthidiot

Just down the A7 in stow.

nearby burners

donald
    Free Member

Should make the place quite a bit warmer and reduce our gas bills somewhat.

I keep saying this but mains gas is the cheapest form of heating. If you have to buy wood it’s more expensive than gas. If you’ve got free wood then crack on though.

Davesport

In true Singletrack stylee, having a woodstove is a lifestyle choice, gas isn’t. It’s not just about the heat. The tireless search for firewood, the processing, the drying to perfection & the hatred of hissing logs. It turns into a form of CDO.

nedrapier

If you’ve got free wood then crack on though.

Still going to be a long time to pay off the cost of installation, though?

footflaps

I keep saying this but mains gas is the cheapest form of heating.

Well, having installed a wood burner as a substitute for CH and buying logs, I reckon it’s break even. The reduction in gas bill is roughly the same as the cost of having logs delivered.

So, for us, it’s been cost neutral in terms of running costs.

NewRetroTom

nedrapier – Member
    Still going to be a long time to pay off the cost of installation, though?

Yes, but we were advised to get the chimney lined by the chimney sweep. After he pulled a 10x5x30cm stone down the chimney he said it is in some danger of eventual collapse if we keep using it without getting it lined. So this bit needs to be done regardless of whether we get a wood burner.

At the moment burning wood and coal in the open fire place looks nice, but makes almost no noticeable difference to the temperature in the living room.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Try Lock 27 Stoves.

andyl
    Free Member

Should make the place quite a bit warmer and reduce our gas bills somewhat.

he’s not wrong though, it will reduce his GAS bills.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendations for wood burner installation near Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.