Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any recommendations for MTB riding near San Francisco?
  • richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hello All

I’m going to be out in California in April and will have a day, maybe two, free for some riding so wondering if anyone has any good suggestions?

Anywhere within about 4 hours drive South or East of San Francisco is perfect as I’ll be in Monterey initially.

I had planned on going to Downieville but I’ve just been informed by a local that its likely to still be covered in snow at that time of year so now need a new plan.

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers

ampthill

Marin!

Check with a local first but I thought was the famous spot (with a 15mph speed limit)

scottfitz
    Free Member

Have a look on trailforks you have loads of options, Monterey is nice by the way, have fun. https://www.trailforks.com/map/?lat=36.6074960249952&lon=-121.68938827514644&z=11&m=trailforks

DaveRambo

I went about 3 years ago.

Hired a decent bike, rode over the bridge and explored Marin.
    It wasn’t brilliant but had to be done – long fireroad stuff as you expect from the old school footage.

I wasn’t feeling great so didn’t go much further. Mount Tamalpais has better trails I think – There are quite a few to explore with iconic names

deadkenny
    Free Member

4ish hours drive to Lake Tahoe. Though April might still be ski season.

Clover

There are trails in Monterey. And then there’s Santa Cruz! Wilder Ranch (an hour north of Monterey). Lovely coastline too.

djflexure

Hired a decent bike, rode over the bridge and explored Marin.
    It wasn’t brilliant but had to be done – long fireroad stuff as you expect from the old school footage.

Did this too nearly 20 years ago. One option is to ride out through Marin and back to Tiburon, eat at Guaymas (on the quay) and catch the ferry back to SF. Memorable day.

jwray

Forget Tahoe and downeville. They will be snowed in still

I’d look at Santa Cruz area, trails around the university and forests inland. Lots of stuff on the web about these trails. I never liked wilder ranch particularly.

If your going from SF then Skeggs is a good one. I always preferred that to Marin.

http://bayarearides.com/rides/skeggs1/

zigzag69
    Free Member

Santa Cruz, Soquel Demo Forest. Great set of trails

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.
    Sounds like Santa Cruz could be the best option.

chipps

Should have just asked me, Richie 😉

Santa Cruz for sure. Wilder Ranch, UCSC campus, Demo (if it’s not washed away still) – loads to ride around there and plenty of folks to show you round.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 When in Santa Cruz you can go check out the bridge from Lost Boys – IIRC i pedaled along the railroad track to get there.

dantsw13

I’m in SF as I type – feels like a wet Wales day though!. Are you a roadie at all? Some of the best road riding anywhere to be had over the Golden Gate Bridge. A cross bike could be really handy too. I’ve ridden up The Old Railroad Grade on a road bike before – Gravel trail to the top of Mt Tamalplais – home of mountain biking. Email me if you want any GPX routes.

djflexure

Agree – all the Marin trails I did could all be managed on some sort of gravel bike, which might make it more interesting. Would not pass up the opportunity to ride Santa Cruz if it were one or the other. If I could do both then the trip over Golden Gate/ ferry back is nice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendations for MTB riding near San Francisco?’ is closed to new replies.