Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any recommendations for a bike computer that…
  • bikeneil
    Free Member

… is wireless, can mount on the stem and maybe has a temperature gauge. Don’t need gps, cadence etc, just the basics. Quite like the Topeak V10. Anything else to consider?

Thank you.

n0rt0n
    Free Member

Just got the cannondale iq300, does everything you are looking for. Not had chance to use it much yet though, first impressions are good although the display is a little awkward compared to my old cateye. I managed to get it when Evan Had the discount code so only cost me 25 quid.

scaredypants

they’re all shit IME

wired or else GPS for me

RustySpanner

Just out of interest, why the temp gauge?

benji
    Free Member

Just bite the bullet and go gps, doesn’t matter which bike you put it on, it just works, even take it running.

bikeneil
    Free Member

No real reason for temp gauge. Just thought it might be useful.

Why would gps be better? I currently still use a paper map for trail finding.

Speshpaul

With a bit of hunting you can get a Garmin Edge 200 for under £100 as cheap as £75 if you pick your moment.
    There is no going back to bike computers afterwards. You only need one unit it works with all your bikes with out touching it or you can take it for a walk.
    the Touring version with mapping is £200 now and looks good but word on the street says they will be on offer in the spring;-)

PrinceJohn

Surely a temp gauge on a bike computer would be horrifically inaccurate?

iolo
    Free Member

dont need GPS

The STW intelligence strikes again.
    Which part of this do people not understand?
    Why do you then go on to tell the op which GPS unit to buy?

benji
    Free Member

Because there is a misapprehension, that a GPS bike computer is only used to give guidance on route, not to map the ride and do away with magnets and sensors mounted on forks to measure the speed. The cost of them as well keeps coming down not everyone checks all the prices.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure the op will thank you for your pearls of wisdom.
    If anyone else has any actual answers for the original question I’m sure this would be most appreciated.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I don’t want to be able to map my route. I only really need a clock and distance. Prefered wireless as I don’t like wires coiled around the cables and down the forks.

I’m not a technophobe, far from it. But one of the reasons I love riding is to be removed from the daily technological lives we seem to have to lead these days. So the thought of getting back from a ride then having to turn on my laptop to upload data is not an appealing one to me. Hence needing only a simple wireless computer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s great to hear all that, what people were suggesting was a computer for your bike that works without wires. It happens to use GPS to do the speed and distance things. It tells you all this on the screen, there is no need to plug it in or use the route tracking side of it. It can be exactly like a wireless bike computer.

iolo
    Free Member

At 3 times the price. Plus there’s the signal loss in trees.

bikeneil
    Free Member

But also considerably more expensive and much larger than a computer (I assume). Don’t see the point in paying for a gps when I’ll only use it for the time and distance.

campkoala
    Free Member

Temp gauge is handy for me, a lot of my road rides are at night all year round, if the temp is close to zero, I know to head for the coast on well driven roads rather than the quiet roads in the hills (a scary mistake I’ve made in the past)
    Wireless comps are indeed rubbish.
    Sigma does a wired comp that’ll do all you require and more.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Which Sigma is it? I guess I could cope with a wire.

benji
    Free Member

I’m sure the op will thank you for your pearls of wisdom.
    If anyone else has any actual answers for the original question I’m sure this would be most appreciated.

Are you a new self appointed chairperson, or just normally this patronizing?

campkoala
    Free Member

Gps devices aren’t actually all that accurate for at a glance current speed (if that matters to you)

campkoala
    Free Member

I can check tomorrow for you as to which model it is.

butcher

Gps devices aren’t actually all that accurate for at a glance current speed (if that matters to you)

Mine pretty much always reflects exactly what my Cateye says.

brooess
    Free Member

You can have one of mine!

Cateye + Specialized bike computers

campkoala
    Free Member

It’s a sigma1609
    Backlight is handy for riding in the dark too.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Thank you. I’ll have a look at that one.

martymac

cateye do one with a temp gauge, cant remember the model number tho. iirc it costs around £40.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendations for a bike computer that…’ is closed to new replies.