Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any recommendations for 4 bike towbar mounted racks?
  • robdob
    Free Member

Anyone?

Cheaper is definitely better!

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

Pendle gets my vote.

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

Double post.

ThePinkster

MaxxRaxx or this one from Towsure.

I bought the second one as I couldn’t use my MaxxRaxx on a swan-neck towbar when using an Alko trailer hitch as the permanently fitted mounting hardware for it fouls the hitch.

I find both very good but think these days I prefer the wheel mounting of the second one

transporter13
    Free Member

Halfrauds were doing their own version in a sale last week if that’s any help. Looks ok but doesn’t tilt

robdob
    Free Member

Any other ideas?

brassneck

I just bought a MaxxRaxx 2nd hand off the classifieds and am very happy with it. Carrying the wifes Stumpjumper FSR (odd shape FS), 2 x 20″ kids bikes and my Ti456 comfortably, and easier to attach and live with than a 4 bike boot rack.

winston
    Free Member

Check the max nose weight and construction of your towbar – 4 bikes bouncing up and down is a lot of leverage, especially if they are mountainbikes. I put four on mine and the flex was so alarming I took one off and put it in the boot.

robdob
    Free Member

I was asking for a friend and he has decided to go for a Witter ZX404. I think he has been wise and gone for a traditional tow bar setup with the flat plate and bolt on ball. The Witter rack bolts to the tow ball fitting.

I think that will be a much stronger/sturdy/stable option than the ones which attach to the ball, which are ok for 2/3 bikes I suppose but 4 bikes is starting to push it!

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Be aware of how much they extend the length of the car by. Makes it a pane to park in an ordinary parking space.

Also even if a tilt one make sure it still allows you to open the boot.

I had one on my espace and the boot wouldn’t quite clear to open and the additional length was not good on an already big car. Got rid of it and now have the one specifically made for the espace that bolts into the roof rail track and sits on the back bumper, bikes still at the back of the car but far higher up and closer to the car so not the same issue with all that extra length sticking out and bouncing around.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Aiston, not tilting but very solid racks, my 2-3 bike version takes my 100kg weight!

Be carefull of the nose weight for your car, most will be 40-60kg, some 4×4’s and vans might be 75kg. 4 Bikes is 60kg, plus 15 for the rack, and it’s worse than nose weight as it’s hanging off the back, so really you should be aiming well under.

MadBillMcMad

I’ve got the Atera – the rack is very light, tilts & will take 4 bikes (if you get the extension bit).

Disadvantages: it is incredibly fiddly to thread the bikes sometimes & unless they have changed the slots it will struggle with 2.4″+ tyres.

Having had a pendle in the past that would be my vote, just make sure you grease the sliders. Penalty with Pendle is the weight of the rack itself.

alanf
    Free Member

Atera Strada.
    It’s a 3 plus 1 so you can strip it back if you don’t need to have 4 bikes all the time.
    It tilts as said above allowing access to the boot and is light and well constructed

robdob
    Free Member

My mate rang up the Aiston bloke and wasn’t impressed – no lighting board included and other issues. Sounds like you basically buy a garden gate from him and sort the rest out yourself. 😉
    And no tilt? What use is that??

Nose weight in his new car is 75kg so ok with 4 bikes. The witter one looks really good if you have a standard tow hitch. No good for me though as I am getting a swan neck one on my new car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendations for 4 bike towbar mounted racks?’ is closed to new replies.