Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Any reason why you wouldnt buy a Yeti 575
  • lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Cant find much on this on this bike. Anyone got some info on these?

mrvear
    Free Member

Over priced. Made in Taiwan but still changing made in America money.

bigjim

do you mean one of the new 650b ones? They look pretty good to me, I think they tweaked it to be more like the ASR5. I wouldn’t buy any expensive bike without test riding, get a spin on one if you can, if it’s the one for you it will sell itself to you.

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Yes 650b one. Could get the frame quite cheap, so its tempting… Hate paying £50 to demo bikes all the time.

coogan
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a Yeti. They do nowt for me.

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Coogan, if not a yeti, then whats the bike for you?

coogan
    Free Member

Ride a Pivot Mach 6 and a Dialled Bikes Alpine.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Try it.

Last time I rode a Yeti fullsusser I was deeply impressed with the way it smoothed the trail. The harder you go the better it was.

It was an Ally ASR in my case, with a 5th Element shock, but the suspension design is still much the same AFAIK.

pinetree
    Free Member

I currently ride an SB5C, and have had an ASR5 in the past, but got to test a 650b 575 a while back, and I have to say I was blown away by it.
    For a relatively inexpensive bike (I say that, as it’s about the same price as a Mega) it was a remarkably good bike. Cos it’s got the ASR/dogbone system, it felt pretty active on the way down, but climbed really well (just like my old asr5 did)
    I jumped on it straight away, and even with an 80mm stem it felt great!

Best thing would be to give one a try- you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Where abouts are you located?

bigjim

I currently ride an SB5C

Ooh funcy. I rode an SB6c the other day and it was very nice. Probably a bit too slack and long travel for the riding I do though. scary fast though.

pinetree
    Free Member

Ooh funcy. I rode an SB6c the other day and it was very nice. Probably a bit too slack and long travel for the riding I do though. scary fast though.

Aye, I sorta made the same decision. The SB6C is absolutely brilliant- goes downhill like a bat out of hell, and by all accounts it climbs better than the SB66 did, but I prefer something a wee bit smaller and nippier myself.

The SB5 has that same quality that the ASR5 did: when you point it downhill, it feels like a much bigger travel bike than it is. It out-climbs and out-descends the ASR5 without a shadow of a doubt though. Much faster bike, and a lot more planted on the descents. It is a fair whack more expensive though, so it’s difficult to compare the two, as they’re sort of in a different category in that respect.

To get back to the OP’s point though- the 575 is a deceptively good bike, and it’s simple look doesn’t really do it justice. It looks a lot more basic than it is, but I reckon it will out perform any other single pivot bike out there *awaits flaming from all the Orange lovers* 😉

bigjim

I’d like to try an SB5c some time. I think there is something in the bigger wheels.

OP – check the mtbr yeti forums, very active and probably a new 575 thread there.

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Hey Pinetree,

Im live in Manc. I was checking to see where i could go ride on of these. I am very tempted.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not sure how relevant this is, as my 575 is the last of the 26 inchers. But I love it. It’s very capable, slack enough to be superb downhill, but not too slack to be poor at climbing. It’s very plush and comfortable. I’ve done Alps trips on it, all day epic XC rides, trail centres and messing around in the woods type rides.

I’ve heard them called a long travel XC bike, and this is quite true. Very all day rideable, but very capable. They can be built burly for ‘enduro’ duties or light and nimble. I would buy another one without hesitation.

Having now looked at the 27.5, the frame design is identical to my 26″ so hopefully this is helpful.

pinetree
    Free Member

@ the OP- you could always give OnePlanet at Llandegla a ring to see if they have one. That’s not too far from you, and a pretty good place to test a bike

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

pinetree, just called them before i saw this. They have one in my size. Need to see when i can get out there.

Cheers!

dekadanse
    Free Member

Agree with most of the above – only downside I know of on the ‘old’ 575 was that their frames are pretty big for their stated size. In other words, if you’re on the margins between frame sizes, go for the smaller and not the larger. For me at 6′ the size L 575 felt a bit like straddling a farm gate.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes! I’d buy one in a heartbeat.
    To replace my 2006 575 that what is still my main bike innit. And is still brilliant.

pinetree
    Free Member

Yeah, I think the questionable Geo is a thing of bygone days. I’m 5ft 8, and found a medium absolutely bang on. Could have gone for a shorter stem, but it was comfy with an 80mm.
    Yeti Geo always comes across a bit mental on paper, so i try not to pay attention to it. For example, my old asr5 was a medium, which technically measures as a 19″ frame. Seems mental, but in reality it fitted like a glove.
    I tried a small as well, and that was fine with a longer stem, but it was technically an 18″ frame.

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Right, demo booked. Getting a bit excited now!

MartynS

the (very limited) number of people i know who had or have yeti’s have all had problems with them cracking after a very short period. I belive the warranty is very good though….

Rosss
    Free Member

I walked past OPAs 575 demo bike twice and demoed a bronson and Nomad, I was underwhelmed by both and wish I’d tried the 575. It looks fantastic

DezB
    Free Member

the (very limited) number of people i know who had or have yeti’s have all had problems with them cracking after a very short period.

575s?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Agree with most of the above – only downside I know of on the ‘old’ 575 was that their frames are pretty big for their stated size. In other words, if you’re on the margins between frame sizes, go for the smaller and not the larger. For me at 6′ the size L 575 felt a bit like straddling a farm gate.

6′ here and ride a medium. Spot on for me, chuckable but still comfortable.

pinetree
    Free Member

the (very limited) number of people i know who had or have yeti’s have all had problems with them cracking after a very short period.

575s?

The really old one where they had carbon bonded into alu, aye. But have you seen how beefy the new one is?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

the (very limited) number of people i know who had or have yeti’s have all had problems with them cracking after a very short period. I belive the warranty is very good though….

I know the old carbon rear triangles were prone to cracking, but I’ve not heard of many failures on the all ally frames?

MartynS

575s?

The really old one where they had carbon bonded into alu, aye. But have you seen how beefy the new one is?

in fairness, no idea.. i think one was an sb66, one of the others was a 575 but it was an older one.

its not a brand I’ve ever really looked at. There’s not a dealer near by and, for me the reputation went before them. However I’m under no illusion that there are many people who haven’t snapped a yeti frame.

singletrackmind

I have the ‘old’ new shape 575 without the hollow keyway, and a carbon triangle.
    No cracks so far . Been to the Alps ,ok no road gaps but still sent it down alot of steep rooty stuff.
    Very comfortable , nimble, easy to carve through the corners. Great frame for a 2 build stable, go light wheels/brakes/forks for xc and trail center use, then get some sturdy wheels/tyres/forks and brakes for Enduro/ continental riding.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Had a 2012 575 (all alloy version), really nice bike to ride. Downside for me was having to make use of Silverfish and Yeti’s excellent warranty more often than I felt comfortable with.

They have substantially beefed up and redesigned the problem area for a 650b version tho.

And they used some obscure bearing sizes which were hideously expensive to buy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve build a few up for a friend who loves them. He owns two yeti frames and has had both crack twice.

Last time I put a new back end on his arse-5 (sic) it took a lot of spacing to get the linkage right.

It’s not a brand I’d ever consider. I’m more of a Turner fan myself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Review on PB was a bit meh IIRC – suggested it didn’t ride quite right.

I’m not a Santa Cruz fan normally, but the new Heckler could be an interesting alternative? Similar sort of thing innit.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve an asr7 which when I take it out which is rare nowadays it still makes me grin how nothing slows it however rough.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Not ridden one but a mate had the swing arm replaced in the alloy 26″ version 5 times within a 18 months period. They eventually replaced with an sb66

johnny

On the other hand, I have had two yeti frames. The first one was a 2006 575 with the hollow section in the front triangle, with the bonded Alu/carbon swingarm. I did break it after 5 years, but it was the bolt on the dogbone which gave way, and hadn’t been tightened with specific torque in mind. It has been replaced with an SB66 which has been faultless, going through one set of bearings in 2 years. Both were ridden in all weather conditions, alpine stuff, UK DH tracks, lots of trail centres and natural upland riding. So the anecdotes of frame failures are not definitive.

The 575 is definitely a long legged trail bike, and great for most uk riding, but I did put 160mm lyriks on mine at one point and it was great in Verbier as a result!

mildred

They’re great. I tried the 575 & asr5c and went for the 5c because the 575 overlapped my other bike too much.

Good build quality, great ride, very predictable handling and a good warranty. One of the only companies that reply to emails nice and promptly.

Can’t really think of any negatives. Great bike.

trailhound
    Free Member

I have a 2009 575 with the carbon seat stay bonded into alloy chainstay, been an absolutely superb bike with the only issue being a cracked dog bone link. No issues pedaling on all dayers and blasts down the hills!
    Only 10 mins from Llandegla OP if you fancied some company on the way round

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Trailhound, let me confirm my plans for Saturday tomorrow and I will let you know. I’m doing a morning session. You don’t know any cheeky rough bits off the trail do you?

darkcyan
    Free Member

I’ve had the rear triangle break on two Yeti’s – so couldn’t possibly comment!

Paceman
    Free Member

Loved mine, wish I could have kept it but finance and shed space didn’t allow at the time. Will hopefully build up another 575 one day, I’ll be avoiding the version with the carbon rear end though as Darkcyan suggests. Mine was the full alloy version and it was faultless.

bigjim

not sure I’d base what the new 575 is like on what the old one rides like, I’m sure I read they changed the feel of the rear suspension to be more like the ASR5, and then there are the bigger wheels etc. Could be wrong tho

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Any reason why you wouldnt buy a Yeti 575’ is closed to new replies.