Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any reason to change front mech if going 2×9?
  • sambob
    Free Member

As far as i can see, i just need to remember to not shift into biggest ring on the front. Am i correct?

sockpuppet

no need to change

just use the limit stops

sambob
    Free Member

Limit stops? what are they?

Northwind

Very little reason, but some. An SLX double mech’s lighter than an XT, if you care, and the differently shaped cage does work slightly better, though not much. Still, these aren’t big enough reasons to spend the money if you ask me.

edhornby

limit stops, the little pair of screws that control where the mech starts and stops, have a look on the park tools website for how to adjust

clubber
    Free Member

I found that with my triple mech the chain kept dropping on my 2×9 (no bash) so I replaced with an SLX double mech and it’s been fine since.

walla24
    Free Member

Sambob; assuming you are just keeping the lowest 2 gears at the front, all you need to do is find the two small limit screws, usually on the upper exposed face of the mech. Simply screw in the one marked “H” until you can no longer shift into the third ring. Use a nice sharp screwdriver as the screws are reAlly easy to round.
    If it rubs on the bash, if yiu have one, try raising the whole mech although you will then jave to adjust both limitsand the cable.
    Good luck, post a pic if still stuck

ivantate
    Free Member

Mt triple mech works ok but not great.

Make sure you set it up in a similar position to where you would have it if the outer ring was fitted, rather than dropping it down like i did to start with.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on the ring sizes, if you’re going for a 22/36 style (which I assume you are) then the SLX double has advantages, if you’re going 28/42 or something then it doesn’t!

sambob
    Free Member

I might just change the outer ring (44t) to a bash and keep the inner two rings, as i never use the big ring anyway. Cheers for all the help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any reason to change front mech if going 2×9?’ is closed to new replies.