Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any reason not to go carbon…
  • olddog

…on an XC bike? Used on variety of natural trails and the boring end of trail centre reds eg Dalby. I have a Stumpy FSR evo I tend to use anything more.

I go fast enough so some degree of robustness required,basically, will I die the moment I both wheels leave the ground.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No.

bruneep

Yes

Rorschach
    Free Member

Maybe

Kryton57

Possibly.

scaredypants

Ignore the above – it’s a tissue of lies

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They will snap and shatter with shards impaling you, just like that road disc brake fiasco.

Carbon is a very versatile material that can be made tough, strong and light. It’s easier to repair than aluminium. My xc and trail bikes are carbon and have not exploded in about 7000km of abuse.

Rorschach
    Free Member

(they explode at 7500km)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Each or is a contagious thing they share?

olddog

Thanks! The context is my old XC bike is finally dead, frame has cracked and forks were already on way out. I do tend to push the definition of XC, did a TMB on my old bike.

What with it being my 50th birthday next week I thought I’d get something reasonable as present to self. I assumed that carbon must be fine, but everything seemed to be carbon a few years ago, but less so now?

A subset of the question is there any benefits to carbon other than weight?

smell_it
    Free Member

is there any benefits

It will make you 0.8754% more attractive to people that like carbon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

but everything seemed to be carbon a few years ago, but less so now?

Few years ago everyone wanted carbon. Now people are realising that cheap carbon is a bit rubbish and that aluminium and steel bikes at that price point are usually better bets.

steve_b77
    Free Member

they explode at 7500km

Glad I only keep mine for 4650 miles then

I go fast enough so some degree of robustness required,basically, will I die the moment I both wheels leave the ground.

Doubt you’ll be as fast as a WC XC rider, so odds on you probably won’t die as a result of riding a carbon frame, probably.

olddog

I bet I am a lot heavier than a WC XC rider. I have limbs that areheavier than some

Part of the problem I’ve got is that XC bikes seem to be either full on race bikes or lower spec sub £1000. I just want something to cover high mileage rides efficiently but capablof dealing with some abuse. Full on racing rigs maybe sacrifice robustness for lightness

PS I realise the carbon discussion is about five years old, but I’ve been under a rock

Kryton57

Go and get the Canyon Grand Canyon CF on offer at £1049. Good carbon & kit for the money. Almost tempted myself…

curto80
    Free Member

Don’t do that unless you want to wait 8 months and then get charged the list price at the time of dispatch rather than the sale price you agreed to buy it for.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

don’t buy a canyon – I know a few owners and they are often using the excellent warranty

bensales
    Free Member

olddog – Member
    I bet I am a lot heavier than a WC XC rider. I have limbs that areheavier than some

Part of the problem I’ve got is that XC bikes seem to be either full on race bikes or lower spec sub £1000. I just want something to cover high mileage rides efficiently but capablof dealing with some abuse. Full on racing rigs maybe sacrifice robustness for lightness.

I don’t believe racing XC bikes do sacrifice robustness for lightness, after all, to win a race you need to finish and XC racers aren’t easy on their kit. And at 215lbs, my carbon race bikes for both road and mtb seem to be holding up just fine.

However, take a look at the Specialized Camber. It’s a middle ground between the full on a race Epic, and the trail Stumperjumper FSR.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/mountain/trail/camber

Available in both carbon and alloy, and 650b and 29.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t believe racing XC bikes do sacrifice robustness for lightness, after all, to win a race you need to finish and XC racers aren’t easy on their kit.

Yep some of the hardest on their kit in many ways.

If your not racing then I’d go with the above suggestion, avoid the out and out race machines. There are a lot of 120ish mm FS 29r’s out there and the 130ish 650 bikes that are light, nimble but a bit more forgiving and fun to ride(not as steep etc.)

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I may have mis understood what bike you currently have – but if you have a I have a Stumpy FSR evo and the frame is cracked – send it back and get a replacement. Spez have a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to go carbon…’ is closed to new replies.