Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any reason not to buy some Marzocchi 55's?
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

I am after a bit of advise looking for some new forks and can get a deal in my LBS on a pair of the above so is there any reason not to buy some Marzocchi 55r’s?

lucien

Do you need to own anyone?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just taken the plunge myself and have bought a set of 55CRs. Early impressions are very good indeed.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I have Bombers from old still going strong just wondering if it’s worth breaking free of Fox.

There’s always someone to own 😈

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Not a fan of the basic/cheap marzocchi models, I’d get rockshox at the budget end. CR would be ok, basic R my opinion was skewed by my 2008 ones which packed in and needed the N cartridge adapted. Heavy too.

I have since got 2011 66rc3 ti’s which are the best forks I’ve ever used.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Xfusion?

scruff
    Free Member

My 2012 (?) CRs are good, had to replace the seals last month. Mine were very divey on steeps / breaking so put 40ml of oil in the airside, much better.

julians
    Free Member

Get the marz 55 rc3’s from CRC for about £500. amazingly good forks.

tomaso
    Free Member

For shear brawn and plushness Marzocchis take some beating. The lower the model the more rudimentary the damping – but that is the same with RockShox Fox X-Fusion etc.

As long as weight isn’t part of your criteria and you value more highly feel and action then Marzocchi stake up quite nicely.

hora
    Free Member

How much. That is the question.

jedi

55 rc3 best fork i’ve used and the cr on my bandit are amazing

Wozza
    Free Member

I have a set of 66 and they’re unbelievably good. So good, that whenever I ride my Fox forks, they feel broken.

They’re heavy but it’s worth it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re the heaviest fork ever made.

the 55r’s i had were total carp, with little or no damping, and stanchions that scratched badly within 1 short, clean, ride.

I bought domains to replace them, they’re much better – in every way.

hora
    Free Member

If I was offered 55R’s cheap it’d have to be <200 brand new. They are 6lb in weight. I remember looking at a STW’ers almost new ones a few months ago and when I saw they were over 6lb’s I thought not a bloody chance. Years ago that was the norm. Not now. Spend alittle more and get better tech (i.e with compression). Why live like a pauper on your bike? At least do the basics 😉

julians
    Free Member

the current 55r’s are 5.4lb.

I’d still go for the 55rc3’s , same weight as the 55r’s , but vastly superior damping etc.

VanHalen

cheap and cheerful marzocchis for the win.

yes they weigh as much as my car but after a bit of butchering they dont half feel nice and i dont have to worry about mud destroying my fork.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve had my 55cr’s for nearly a year now and am very impressed with them. i’m a big fan of their forks and these are i think my 9th pair.
    they dont weigh all that much compared to the competition either
    marzocchi 55CR – 2235g/4.9lbs
    fox 36 VAN R – 2470g/5.4lbs
    fox VAN RC2 – 2510g/5.5lbs
    rock shox lyric RC2L – 2369g/5.2lbs
    rock shox Lyric RC2DH – 2180g/4.8lbs

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh the quoting of weights has put me in my box! Is the CR an air fork and if so is it less plusgh than their oily coily offerings?

gonzy
    Free Member

Is the CR an air fork and if so is it less plusgh than their oily coily offerings?

yes its an air fork. my last forks were a 2005 66rc and 2007 Z1 Sport RV…both coils and both super plush. the 55RC has so far been no different in terms of plushness.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

thanks for the replies all I think I will price the 66RC’s with a 3 year warranty and no stipulation on servicing they are a real no brainer for me

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Had my 55CRs on for a couple of months previously had a 36rc2
    They are amazingly plush and more importantly look bling as 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

The 55R/CR has a market niche all to itself really, they’re cheaper than anything else and are competitive weight wise. So far I’ve no complaints about the damping, certainly my new 55CR is far better better than my old Wotans. They’re short on features compared to my Wotans, losing out on external travel adjust and a lockout but I never really used these features anyway. They’re also not quite as stiff, but as before damping-wise they’re in a different league.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy some Marzocchi 55's?’ is closed to new replies.