Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any reason not to buy one of these. (Dartmore hornet)
  • feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

No one seams to want to buy the fox 34’s off of my rallon. So thinking of building up a long travel hardtail. For winter sloppy Ming. Any reasons not to buy one of these. Everything looks pretty good geometry wise and you really can’t argue with the price. £185!!!
    Anyone got one?

v666ern
    Free Member

Not that i can see, i would suggest buying from these guys though;

http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-hornet-26x22650b-2014-7424-p.asp

they do free shipping and points you can use on other things and Graeme is also very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable to boot

cloudnine
    Free Member

slam69 are great to deal with..
    I have a dartmoor shine but would buy a hornet if were in the market for a ht

Solo
    Free Member

feckinlovebbq – Member

Wow ! Great member name. Obviously, you must really struggle to express yourself, especially with what appears to be such a limited vocabulary.

kayak23

They look brilliant. Was looking at one the other day and got quite tempted..
    Can’t turn my back on steel though, it is ‘real’ after all.

deviant
    Free Member

Buy it, at that price it would be rude not to. It seems to get good reviews and there are some YouTube videos of Dartmoor’s pro riders using them in the mountains.
    I’m considering swapping my running gear over from a 45650b to a Hornet, the tapered head tube and 12mm bolt through rear axle is very tempting….they take 650b wheels too.

Only thing I worry about is how it rides compared to steel, I’ve got used to that forgiving ‘twang’ that a steel rear triangle provides….if you go for it do a little ride report for us.

timmys

I’m slightly dubious of a bike that says it is suitable for 26 or 27.5 without some kind of switchable dropout or something to adapt the geometry. Either the geometry is for one or the other I would have thought. I’m probably missing something though.

deviant
    Free Member

Surely no different to one person running a bike on low volume 2.1 tyres and the next bloke running the same frame on high volume 2.5 tyres?

You wouldn’t demand extra dropouts or adjustable geometry for your bike in that instance.

stumpy01

deviant – Member
    Only thing I worry about is how it rides compared to steel, I’ve got used to that forgiving ‘twang’ that a steel rear triangle provides….if you go for it go a little ride report for us.

They look nice, but I can’t imagine that the rear end had much ‘twang’ given the size of the tubes. Looks decidedly stiff, which is probably what you want in a frame built for ‘freeride and agressive enduro’.

sazter

I have one and love it, mine is the small as I am, well, small. Another friend has the large and he also loves it. Another guy is building one up. Yes, get it!

v666ern
    Free Member

Solo – Member

Hand Solo? 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve seen some of their other frames which look very 90s Alu STIFF at the seatstays, that one looks a bit different, but that back end still looks stiff. I can’t see it riding like steel. Slam69 seem to get great reviews and are steeped in mtb history.

warpcow
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy trying to fit a 2.35″, 27.5 tyre in there. Of course you could just go with a 2.1″, cos everyone knows it’s exactly the same 🙄

v666ern
    Free Member

The new geometry is designed to cope with the dynamic of the 27.5” wheels or the agility of the classic 26” wheels – both will fit very well !!

BigDummy
    Free Member

It looks like a £185 frame, and it has really, really stoopid writing on it.

That is pure snobbery, natch. But those are two reasons. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy one of these. (Dartmore hornet)’ is closed to new replies.