Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any reason not to buy a Saab ?
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Seen a nice looking Saab 9-3 estate in budget but just thought id ask if anyone has any experience of them on hear?

garage-dweller

Nicely appointed inside but from what I have heard unexceptional in the handling entertainment stakes if you care about that. If seats are like the Saabs I have driven in the past then they should be lovely on long trips.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Diesel needs a cambelt change at 72k miles and it ain’t cheap. But if it’s been done yeah, why not. I liked mine

Bregante

I think the 1.9 diesels are the ones to avoid iirc

monsho
    Free Member

Bought mine with 106k on it, have done almost 40k in the last 13 months, needed a clutch / DMF which is fair enough for the miles, been spot on really, interior plastic is a bit cheap and creaky, but it was a whole load less cash than the equivalent Passat.

1.9 Diesel is the same engine as in Vectras etc, seems a good lump to me

joshvegas
    Free Member

Save your pennies and get a viggen.

garage-dweller

The problem with a Viggen is it needs a big parking space and the internal load carrying is crap although you can fit some stuff on the external racks.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Due to the demise of Saab, their used cars are temptingly cheap.

Saab parts was a separate business to the car manufacture bit and was very profitable. I can’t see locating parts being a problem.

If you like it, get it. They’re nice cars. Comfortable seats. Can’t comment on the 1.9 diesel lump as all my Saabs were petrol. I think the 1.9 is the Fiat sourced engine but I may be wrong.

Currently mrs coolhandluke is in a 210 BHP Aero convertible. In the past we’ve had an old shape 9-3 150 BHP LPT 3 door and a 150 bho 9-5.

Lovely cars, not built as nice as Beemers but nice all the same.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Do thule do a hardpoint rack adapter. Perhaps an over wing mount like a jaguar would be better…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The TiD / TTiD is the same derv unit as used by fiat / alfa / GM.

It’s a well thought of engine amongst alfa owners, so can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t be good in a saab.

firestarter
    Free Member

I just sold one it was doing 24mpg 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

I like mine – 9-5 petrol estate 170 bhp.

Ver comfy, reasonable turn of speed, 27-37 mpg. Huge space for the dogs.

Turbo went at 96k and recon unit was only £110 which was fine as the car cost next to nothing to buy. Service history is important and main problems seem to be sludge in sump from people putting in wrong oil. I would definitely have another one,

bikebob

I had 93 diesel estate as a company car new for three years, 55 plate. The seats were very comfortable which is of great importance to me. Sorry to say beyond that it was a disaster, serious repair bills in the last year. Catalyst, cam belt, radio a very expensive year for the lease co. The radio may seem unimportant but because of Saabs unique wiring loop it took out all the electrics. I honestly thought the garage were joking £900 for a radio as it was the sole cause of major electrics failure. IMO. Avoid.
    On the opposite side, another guy had one and no problems at all. It’s like most things in life, two sides and always more bad because that’s what people want to rant about. A little bit like me one paragraph earlier.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy a Saab ?’ is closed to new replies.